[SOLVED] Successful Post but no Display

Jan 5, 2022
Hi,
I bought a new CPU, Motherboard and RAM to upgrade my System, but my PC won't boot.
It will successfully POST (1 short beep) but I don't get any display. All the fans are spinning but my GPU lights don't light up like they normally do. Also my keyboard doesn't light up if the GPU is installed. Without GPU the keyboard lights up but I get the beep error code for no GPU (obviously).
I already double and triple checked everything I can and went through the trouble shooting list (https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...deo-output-troubleshooting-checklist.1285536/). Reset CMOS multiple times, both RAMS in both slots individually, etc... . I don't have any spare parts so I couldn't do everything, but PSU and GPU work on the old mobo.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? My guess from the behavior would be PSU or GPU but since both of them still work with the other mobo, that can't be it.
Another possibility is that the mobo tries to use integrated graphics, which my CPU doesn't have, but I'm not sure if that is possible and how I could test against that.

New system:
Asus Prime H510M-E
Intel i5-10400F
Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X
Kingston HyperX Fury 8Gb DDR4-2666 (x2)
XFX TS 750W

Old system:
MSI 970A-G43
AMD FX-6300
Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X
Kingston ValueRAM 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
XFX TS 750W

Edit: Forgot to mention that the hdmi cable and monitor I use do work.

Solution
Oh yes, you are right. Forgot to connect it. Doesn't change anything except for the beep unfortunately.
So if the GPU has power connected, my Keyboard doesn't get any. If the GPU has power, the Keyboard does light up.
Well then. Unless somebody comes in with better idea, I'd say RMA the board.

NameChanged38

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Assuming all of the information above is correct, you've already done everything I would reasonably recommend. At this point I'd point the finger at the motherboard (faulty PCI Express x16 slot). Have you taken a hard look at the slot for damage/uniformity? Perhaps even the traces.

My guess from the behavior would be PSU or GPU but since both of them still work with the other mobo, that can't be it.
True assumption.
Another possibility is that the mobo tries to use integrated graphics
False. Most mobos are set to Auto, which means it will use whatever GPU it finds (and if it finds more than one usually goes for dedicated card).
Also my keyboard doesn't light up if the GPU is installed
This one is interesting. Problem with detecting GPU could be caused both by mobo or CPU, but this points towards mobo only.

Jan 5, 2022
False. Most mobos are set to Auto, which means it will use whatever GPU it finds (and if it finds more than one usually goes for dedicated card).
Good to know!

Assuming all of the information above is correct, you've already done everything I would reasonably recommend. At this point I'd point the finger at the motherboard (faulty PCI Express x16 slot). Have you taken a hard look at the slot for damage/uniformity? Perhaps even the traces.
Looks fine to me. Tried cleaning it once again, but nothing changed.

This one is interesting. Problem with detecting GPU could be caused both by mobo or CPU, but this points towards mobo only.
I assumed the POST beeing successful means the mobo is ok, but I guess it cannot detect every possible fault.
Thank you guys for your responses. I will probably just give up trying to make it work and return the mobo then.

I assumed the POST being successful means the mobo is ok
That would be true for anything but GPU. But you can successfully post without graphic card on most boards. In your case it would seem like the mobo sees GPU (hence one beep) but can't make it work. It probably displays some warning at start screen about that, but well, you can't see it. Speaking about warnings, old trick comes to mind: did you try starting the board with PCIe cables unplugged from GPU?

Jan 5, 2022
That would be true for anything but GPU. But you can successfully post without graphic card on most boards. In your case it would seem like the mobo sees GPU (hence one beep) but can't make it work. It probably displays some warning at start screen about that, but well, you can't see it.
Ok, makes sense.

Speaking about warnings, old trick comes to mind: did you try starting the board with PCIe cables unplugged from GPU?
Not until just now. What does this accomplish?
I get the single POST beep
followed by 1 long 3 short (GPU problem)
followed by 1 short (no idea what this is for).

With the cables connected again I have same as before.

Not until just now. What does this accomplish?
I get the single POST beep
followed by 1 long 3 short (GPU problem)
followed by 1 short (no idea what this is for).
There was a chance to get display this way - showing no more then a warning of course (about power not connected), but we would at least know mobo can communicate with your GPU.
1 short beep wasn't for 'no keyboard'? Did it light up?

Jan 5, 2022
1 short beep wasn't for 'no keyboard'? Did it light up?
Oh yes, you are right. Forgot to connect it. Doesn't change anything except for the beep unfortunately.
So if the GPU has power connected, my Keyboard doesn't get any. If the GPU has power, the Keyboard does light up.