Such thing as a Closed Loop cpu and gpu water cooler?

Coastaltuba

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
About how much would it cost to make a custom liquid loop? Not for ridiculous oc, I'm just gonna raise my Phenom II x4 to 3.8. I don't know if I really need to add the gpu into a loop as well.

PNY makes a closed loop system (like H50) that's pre-attached to their GTX 580. There are two versions. One is just the gtx 580. The other comes with a cpu block as well. This of course assumes you want to buy a GTX 580. Both models run somewhere between $500-$600 I think. I know not exactly what you were looking for in the OP but decided to throw that out there.

It's another option. I personally wouldn't dream of trying to watercool a gtx 580 and a cpu on a single 120mm radiator but its out there lol. I personally wouldn't consider this product but had to share.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I personally wouldn't dream of trying to watercool a gtx 580 and a cpu on a single 120mm radiator but its out there

I concur. Most people shouldn't be watercooling an overclocked i5 or i7 (4.0ghz+) on anything less than with a 2x120 rad. But, you can sell the hell out of a cooler if people can tell all their friends they 'watercool'...regardless of the results. There are good uses for an LCS cooler...most people don't understand cooling thresholds of a cooler.

Coastaltuba

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
The highest I'm going for a gfx card is a HD 6850. I can definitely pay $200 to build a custom loop. Since I'm running the x4 965, do I need a good rad with at least a push/pull system?

cuecuemore

Distinguished

You certainly don't need it if you're only going to be taking your X4 965 to 3.8 Ghz, you can do that on air. But you can put your loop together and upgrade it progressively- get a 240 and then two quality fans for a push-only config. Then when you want to go for a big overclock, you can grab two more quality radiator fans and hopefully get north of 4.3Ghz. (I'm stable at ~4.1 with an H50 in push/pull with safe temps on my 965)

greenrider02

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
XSPC RASA 750, comes with all you need to start (CPU only) for $130
-2 fan 120mm radiator, with fans
-5.25" bay resevoir pump combo
- CPU block and brackets
-fittings
-tubing
-other accessories
-easy to add other blocks later

Coastaltuba

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
So, I have to use the 5.25 bays? Maybe I need to get a newer case. I have the Rosewill Challenger. it only comes with 3 bays, and I have two of them used, one for a dvd player and one for a fan controller. Anyway, seeing as this case has horrible cable management, I need to get a new one anyway. Should I just go ahead and get a full sized tower?

Coastaltuba

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
True, true. What would be a good one near $120? I was looking at this one

but I'm not sure. What about a Haf 922? It has the dimensions of a full tower, and would look like a killing machine with a water cooled loop in it. I really want to get into water cooling, as I want to start oc more, and higher, but I can only go so far with the H50.

greenrider02

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
There's also the NZXT Tempest or Phantoms in that price range, Rosewill Blackhawk, Antec 900 or 902, a couple classy Lian-Li cases too, among others. I would read the reviews and see what people say about watercooling, or google the name+watercooling and see what results show up

bejabbers

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009

most of that cost is due to the fact that it's attached to a gtx 580.

personally, I would never dream of using a closed loop LCS system on one, let alone two, components in my system. Go with real water or don't bother.

I don't do the crack thing, but was probably smoking something when I did this

Q9650 @ 4.0 and an overclocked GTX 260, mid 50's ( cpu ) and low 60's ( gpu ) under gaming load, nowhere near what a custom loop could do but not bad at all, graphics temps went down 20c from the stock cooler, cpu only went up about 10c.

teehee... I have one of those antec goose neck fans too. How do like it? Mine's way too noisy on anything but low.

I've had a push/pull H50 on a Q6600 at 3.6ghz / 1.45v and I really couldn't imagine it cooling an enthusiast graphics card at the same time. Glad it works for you. The farthest I went altering my H50 was flattening and polishing the cpu block. I'm too scared I might ruin it.

To the OP, do plenty of testing with air, is all i can really say. I'm about to switch to water, but haven't placed the order yet. From what I've read and seen, if you use the typical 25-35mm radiators, push/pull has an advantage. If you go with a radiator at 54-60mm thick, supposedly a push or a pull will likely suffice, depending on whether you are aiming for mainly performance, or low noise.

I'm leaving it to the experts to make actual recommendations.