[SOLVED] Sudden black screen and fans at 100% with a month old 3080 ti

Bullszeye

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
Was playing sleeping dogs which isn't that demanding of a game at 1440p max settings. It was going without issues, with gpu temps of a 60c max. I then turned down the antialiasing and the game restarted to switch the settings up which caused my screen to go black and my gpu fans to go crazy. This is a new gpu so i am a bit worried. Could it be just a driver issue? Is it too early to RMA it? I just spent the last few hours stress testing it and benchmarking it and I could not cause the same crash to happen again. This has never ever happened in the 7 years I used my 970 before. Thanks!

GPU driver: 496.13

Specs:
CPU: i5 9400f
Motherboard:h310-m
Ram: 32 gb 2666 mhz
SSD/HDD: 500 gb samsung 850 evo, 4 tb wd, 1 tb wd, 250 gb adata ssd
GPU: 3080 ti
PSU: nzxt c850p
Chassis: MS pro aquarius
Monitor: lg 27gl850

Solution
The black screen to max fan speed is related to power.
Are you using any cable extensions?

Play the game, but with the power limit capped(say, 80%?) from now on. It might be one of those titles that cause these gpus to run out of spec.
Also, don't overclock it.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

Play the game, but with the power limit capped(say, 80%?) from now on. It might be one of those titles that cause these gpus to run out of spec.

Solution

Bullszeye

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013

That doesn't make sense though, most I've seen the gpu pull was 340w, with my crappy cpu pulling a max of 65w. That should be well below the PSU specs, and would be disappointing if that's the issue since I plan on getting a way more powerful cpu eventually. I did overclock it before and it worked without issues, I however turned it down because I don't need the extra frames. By cable extension do you mean this? If so, then yes, I am using a cheap one which I've had for almost 10 years now. If that caused the issue then I will literally go buy a quality extension right now.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
By extensions, I mean these things.

That doesn't make sense though, most I've seen the gpu pull was 340w, with my crappy cpu pulling a max of 65w. That should be well below the PSU specs,
No, not that. These cards have their own OCP, OVP, OTP... but the OCP on them is set so high to the point that it'll never trip in any realistic scenario.
This can lead to the power delivery handling levels of current they weren't intended for, and burning out early, thus all the 3080, 3090 - and so on - just 'randomly' blowing up.

Bullszeye

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
By extensions, I mean these things.

No, not that. These cards have their own OCP, OVP, OTP... but the OCP on them is set so high to the point that it'll never trip in any realistic scenario.
This can lead to the power delivery handling levels of current they weren't intended for, and burning out early, thus all the 3080, 3090 - and so on - just 'randomly' blowing up.
Oh. I am not using those. I have 2 pci-e marked cables plugged into it. They're both dual 6/8 pins but I could not get both of them in there, so I had to use 2 separate cables. Did I make a mistake there?

Also, could dust be the issue? Been using an open case for the past month, there is a bit of dust in there, especially on the bottom of the case.

cables:
1635950476598.jpg