Question Sudden Black Screen when Playing Games/Watching Videos

Thinh

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015
So I have this reoccurring problem where my display suddenly loses signal and the screen goes black. I haven't found a solution for this beyond restarting my PC which doesn't even solve the problem because it is still very likely to occur and it's gotten even worse since it first started happening.

I've noticed that loss of signal/black screen tends to happen in certain scenarios:

1. I play a graphically intensive game for a while (2+ hours)
  2. I play a graphically intensive game for any amount of time.
  3. I watch videos/play video games almost immediately after turning on my PC or waking my PC from sleep

When I first started experiencing this problem, it usually happened because of scenario 1, I play a graphically intensive game for a while. As the problem kept occurring, it started to progress to the point where if I played any graphically intensive game for any random amount of time, the screen would go black and I would lose signal. Now, the problem seems to occur if I watch or play video games immediately or 10-15 mins after turning on my PC/waking it from sleep. However, there are times where I'll watch videos immediately after turning on my PC/waking it from sleep and I won't run into the issue. If I don't lose signal from watching videos in the first 10-15 mins then it'll usually never lose signal/black screen.

When the screen goes black/loss of signal, I can still hear sound coming from my speakers and my graphics card fan suddenly kicks into high speeds, high enough for me hear it clearly.

I think this is a GPU issue but I'm not certain. I've tried moving GPU to a different slot and it still occurs.

Can anyone help my diagnose the issue and hopefully offer a solution?

Specs:
CPU: Intel i5-4690k (4~ years old)
GPU: MSI GTX 1070 (2.5~ years old)
MOBO: ASRock Fatal1ty H97 Performance (4~ years old)
RAM: 8GB (2x4) GB HyperX Savage DDR3

Let me know if you need any other specs or other information.

Okay. That's a high quality power supply. No worries here. Then I suspect some fault with either your video card, maybe even the Monitor itself ? Check all the Monitor cables...Is there any loose connection ?

What are your Monitor's specs, the screen resolution, and the refresh rate value ? Clear all the CMOS settings and reset them to default, if need be.

Thinh

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015
I don't have the exact model but it's an Acer monitor, 1080p 60hz. I've checked and rechecked the cables multiple times and I've tried turning my monitor off/on and unplugging/replugging my monitor whenever I lose signal; neither of these fix the issue. I've also tried using a different monitor, the specs were different and it was much older but I still ran into the problem.

That's why I surmised it was a video card issue and not a monitor/PSU issue but I'm not too sure myself. Plus, whenever I lose signal, I can really hear my GPU's fan starting up. I currently have the settings set to default so the fan only turns on at whatever the default temperature is but i've also tried having the GPU fan start at lower temperatures on my personal custom settings.