Sudden blank screens/lockup

TodVonOben

Reputable
Apr 2, 2015
hey guys, I recently built a secondary rig from old parts, for gaming up at my old cottage, its a EVGA GTX 780 and a bunch of other less impressive parts, but anyways, it ran fantastic at home, but when i took it up to the cottage today and hooked it all up, the monitor has shimmering/distortions as if itwere an old CRT and i was running a fan right next to it. the monitor does NOT do this when hooked up to my laptop
it sometimes just randomly, but always when I try to run any games, the PC locks up and the screen goes blank, usually black but it has locked in grey and brown too if that matters

now do you think a component got damaged in transport? or is it possible the power in this old cottage is too weak or unstable to run a gaming PC? would that explain teh strange distortions in my monitor?

TodVonOben

Reputable
Apr 2, 2015
Anybody help please?
I brought the PC back home and the screen no longer shimmers, but it still locks up, and it locks up faster and faster each time i try it seems, please help me find out what part has gone bad!

MSI motherboard unknown model,
corsair ram, 2 sticks of 1866 and one 1600 (oops)
Ultra? i think? tigerdirect inhouse brand 750 watt PSU
FX8150 processor
EVGA GTX 780
OLD hard drive, probably refurbed already when i bought it, could this be the cause?

another odd thing I noticed that it was only on build 1030 of windows 10 and never updated to the 1062 or whatever build it is on my other PC

Please help