[SOLVED] Sudden Change in GPU Performance/Temperatures

Oct 2, 2020
Hi all,

As an example, I have played total war consistently for a long time, my 1080Ti temp usually stayed around 70-75C with no problems.

I've noticed recently while playing total war that my GPU temp is constantly at its temp limit, staying at 84C and after maybe 2 hours on the game it my FPS will crash to 3 (usually stays around the 60-70s before crashing), which doesn't seem to recover properly until I restart the PC (even after shutting the game down). I also experienced crashes from Destiny 2 a lot until I set the FPS limit in the settings to 90, no crashes since.

Bearing in mind there has been no changes to the system, what could be the cause of the sudden temp increase and FPS crashing? Is it possible the GPU has just gotten older and is giving up? Looking closer at the card I have noticed that Most of the RGB LEDs on the fan side have stopped working, probably means nothing, but could be indicative of something?

Specs:
GPU: Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix OC (3.5yrs old)
CPU: i7 9700k (1.5yrs old)
Mobo: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro (1.5yrs old)
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 (3.5yrs old)
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850P2 (3.5yrs old)

Solution
Is there anything to look out for when opening the card as I’ve never opened a GPU before?
The fan cables. Know that when you take the card apart, the PCB will still be attached via those cables.

Should the thermal pads be replaced as well, or just the paste?
The pads are pretty much useless if torn, but the GDDR5X memory and VRMs on the 1080Ti don't run as hot as they do on Turing and Ampere; they can still be kept cooled by fans even if the pads were torn.
I'm using the Kraken G12 kit on mine right now, with no pads + heatsinks on them, and they're running just fine. It won't hurt to have pads and sinks, though.
Oct 2, 2020
GPU: Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix OC (3.5yrs old)
I'd say that's a fair amount of time for the thermal paste beneath to have dried up, thus keeping the heatsink and fans from doing their job.
So replace the paste.

Thanks for the response. I’ve just ordered some kryonaut and will apply when it arrives.

Is there anything to look out for when opening the card as I’ve never opened a GPU before?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The fan cables. Know that when you take the card apart, the PCB will still be attached via those cables.

The pads are pretty much useless if torn, but the GDDR5X memory and VRMs on the 1080Ti don't run as hot as they do on Turing and Ampere; they can still be kept cooled by fans even if the pads were torn.
I'm using the Kraken G12 kit on mine right now, with no pads + heatsinks on them, and they're running just fine. It won't hurt to have pads and sinks, though.

Solution
Oct 2, 2020

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll see how it goes replacing the paste and whether the pads tear and checking results afterwards, then maybe look into pads if need be.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Oct 2, 2020
Been a while. Eventually got around to doing it and playing for a few days to see how it went. Currently total war has dropped to the mid 60s on GPU temp and no crashing.

Thanks for the help, it seems to have worked great!

Reactions: Phaaze88

TRENDING THREADS