Sudden choppy gameplay..help! * w/ pics of HWMonitor*

Goodbye Ruby Tuesday

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016
***The pics are below!***

A month or so ago, after a Windows update and after a physical cleaning of my PC ( cleaned dust out of fans) My games began to feel VERY unsmooth. I have 144 Hz monitor so It was very noticeable when it was " micro-stuttering". I'm not sure if its called micro-stuttering but it feels like i'm playing on a 50 Hz refresh rate while on 144Hz, it's very weird. The stutter/ issue doesn't show up on recordings so I can't record my screen to show anyone.

No matter what graphic quality it is I put it on Ultra and it does it, I put it to the minimum and it keeps doing it

I already tried to do MANY things to fix already. I made 2 completely clean PC formats. clean windows install- reinstall different drivers- cable changes,virus scans you name it.

Like I said above this started happening AFTER a large windows update AND a physical cleaning of my machine. I'm thinking its either a Windows update that did it or somehow I damaged my hardware while cleaning it. But i am always SO careful while cleaning i don't believe that's the case.

Now that i'm thinking about it, I should have done a system restore to a previous point RIGHT after the "stuttering" happened. well, too late for that..... :(

Please try not to recommend things like virus scan or other very obvious things,I've already done it, Thanks guys!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MY PC:

*Built in Nov.2016*

CPU: Intel i5 6600k
GPU: gtx 1060 6GB
RAM: 16gb (4x4GB) 2666 MHz
and 144Hz Asus monitor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* THE SCREENSHOTS ARE OF HWMONITOR AFTER PLAYING BATTLEFIELD 1 FOR 45 MINUTES on MEDIUM/LOW SETTINGS * My FPS was around 95-130fps on 144hz

DO you notice anything suspect or unusual as far as temps and usage go?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top portion of HWmonitor: https://ibb.co/fjOUB7

Bottom portion of HWmonitor: https://ibb.co/cvkFjS

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks to the amazing community at Tom's Hardware, you guys are truly a godsend in the past and helped me build my first good gaming PC. Thanks so much!

Solution
Yes I can see it. Well your problem is that CPU usage is at 100% and GPU usage is at 60-90%. That shouldn't be the case, that indicates a CPU bottleneck, however a I5 8600K should not be bottlenecking a 1060 in bf1. My i7 7700k barely gets above 80% in bf1 usually around 50-60%with gpu usage pegged at 100%.

You're recording gameplay? Does it still stutter and get high cpu usage when not recording?

tcb1005

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2014
Have you tried a factory reset of your monitor? I have a Dell 4K monitor, and randomly one day it decided to sets it's refresh rate to 30hz, and it required a factory reset to correct.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
It all looks normal to me. TMPIN4 is the only thing that concerns me, however that temp sensor might be malfunctioning or HWmonitor is not reading it correctly. It's current value was 0c which is obviously wrong, max was 128c. 128c is quite warm for any component on the motherboard. As for memory usage, yes it's normal depending on your settings. I use about 4.5gb at 1440p mostly high settings with a 1060 6gb in bf1.

I would like to see a graph of gpu and cpu usage while playing, you can use msi afterburner or something for that.

Goodbye Ruby Tuesday

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016
Thanks for taking time out of your day to help, greatly appreciated. I will take a video of BF 1 with afterburner OSD. I can tell you though, CPU/ GPU temps at 50-60c. CPU usage 100% - GPU usage 60-90%. ill make a video later tonight and get back to you

Goodbye Ruby Tuesday

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016

OH, here s a video of the choppiness in BF 1 , i made it about a month ago. It doesnt have any on screen displays but i think you can see the "choppy/ stutter gameplay" let me know if you see it.

BF 1 choppy/stutter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfNUrjpxTFw

BF1 longer video of choppy/stuttery gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10vHeppr6OQ

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Yes I can see it. Well your problem is that CPU usage is at 100% and GPU usage is at 60-90%. That shouldn't be the case, that indicates a CPU bottleneck, however a I5 8600K should not be bottlenecking a 1060 in bf1. My i7 7700k barely gets above 80% in bf1 usually around 50-60%with gpu usage pegged at 100%.

You're recording gameplay? Does it still stutter and get high cpu usage when not recording?

Solution

Goodbye Ruby Tuesday

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016
i have a i5 6600k not a 8600k. You know what, I tested my 1060 on my friends ryzen 1800x today and the stuttery mess was happening on his system too. this tells me its the GPU. and to answer your question, yes, it doe stutter WITHOUT recording.

But this doesnt make sense. i NEVER had an issue in the past it just happened one day and it was always at 100% CPU usage while playing BF1, something weird is happening, maybe u damaged the GPU i dont know....