[SOLVED] Sudden Coil Whine-like sound from CPU?

Apr 4, 2021
As of yesterday, I swapped out the NZXT x53 with the H100i as I was having pump-sound issues. Everything was working fine - however as of today, I have what I can only described as coil whine-like high pitched noises coming from my CPU. I've replaced all the fans with spares I have so I know the issue isn't the fans themselves. The noise gets louder with CPU temp. It really does sound like it's coming from the pump. I switched back to the x53 to see if it was the H100 but the noise persists, so it's not the fault of either cooler (unless I've somehow got unlucky and recieved two faulty coolers). Does anyone have any advice on what could be making the noise?

Build:
i9-10900k
Z490 ACE
1080 TI
RM850 PSU
H100i Platinum + NZXT x53 Coolers

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You should be on an AIO that has at least 360mm of radiator space, not confine it to 240mm units. What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard at the time of writing? You might want to also roll an A4 sheet of paper into a tube, hold it against your ear and then use it like a stethoscope, to narrow down the source of the noise. Also inspect the rear of the motherboard(the backplate).

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You should be on an AIO that has at least 360mm of radiator space, not confine it to 240mm units. What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard at the time of writing? You might want to also roll an A4 sheet of paper into a tube, hold it against your ear and then use it like a stethoscope, to narrow down the source of the noise. Also inspect the rear of the motherboard(the backplate).

Solution