Question Sudden complete Lock up | Cant find culprit

KevinDell

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2015
I don't know if this is the correct category for my issue, I cant tell if its hardware, software, etc, so any help would be appreciated.

Hi all, I'll start with a complete rundown of my computer's specs to get the question started.

GPU: RTX 3080 FE
CPU: i5-9600k (Overclocked to 5.0ghz)
Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus Pro Z390
Ram: 32gb 3200mhz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
Storage: 1tb WD Blue for misc files, Boot SSD is a Samsung 500gb Nvme drive, and lastly a 1tb Sabrent Nvme drive
Psu: Seasonic Prime TX-850

To explain my issue, the system will completely lock up at times, this only happens while gaming. This lock-up completely freezes the system, I normally have music, a video, or a stream running on my second monitor and that also freezes. Eventually, all my RGB fans will return to their hardware lighting setting (in my case all white, as I've set in iCue.) I eventually have to manually shut the PC down by holding the power switch, as simply pressing it will not allow windows to shut itself down.

The only 2 games it has happened in so far are Escape from Tarkov and Red Dead Redemption 2. It first happened in Tarkov a few months ago, to which I thought I solved the problem since it stopped happening, at least for a while. I initially thought it was an Oculus Home issue as an error matched up with the time of the lock-up in Event Viewer. Then, when it happened again, I thought it was the GPU temp getting too high, so I set a more aggressive fan curve in response. This seemingly worked, but I cant tell if it was just a coincidence or not.

Now the issue has happened twice recently while playing RDR2, and I am seemingly unable to find the culprit if there is one.

To run down some of the things I've done/checked:

1. I look through the event viewer every time it's happened, I go through all the filters and there Is no errors or warnings prior to the lock-up.

2. I ran memtest several times before, and they've all come back clean.

3. I've run the system file checker several times, occasionally it will find an error and fix it, but not all the time.

Could this be the Seasonic power draw issue? I was under the impression that the problem resulted in a full shutdown, as in the PC will completely shut itself off, mine remains on and doesn't even flash during these freezes. All of my fan curves are quite aggressive, as I play with headphones so the sound doesn't bother me, so I don't expect this to be a heat issue. In fact, the highest I've seen my GPU get in RDR2 is ~70c.

Any insight would be appreciated, if anything is unclear just ask me.