Question Sudden constant stuttering with high FPS

Feb 22, 2021
Hello everyone! So I have recently encountered this problem and it's driving me crazy. Some of the games I have been playing suddenly started to sttuter even though FPS are like before, between 130 and 150. Some of the games are Apex Legends and F1 2020, they were working flawlessly before. I have tried reinstalling all drivers, temps are all below 60 at all times, tried benchmarking the CPU and GPU and they seem to be working fine, updated BIOS, tried CCleaner to fix registries, scanned for malware, I don't know what else to try. The only thing I haven't tried is formating everything, but I wouldnt like to do that and it's kind of odd that this problem just came out of nowhere...

My config:

Z390 Aorus Master
i7 9700K
RTX 2070 Gigabyte Gaming OC
16GB Corsair 3200MHz
512 ADATA S11pro SSD
1TB Intel 665p SSD
Corsair RM750x

Monitor is MSI Mag271CR, 144hz

If you can give me some help that would be amazing. Thanks.

Hello everyone! So I have recently encountered this problem and it's driving me crazy. Some of the games I have been playing suddenly started to sttuter even though FPS are like before, between 130 and 150. Some of the games are Apex Legends and F1 2020, they were working flawlessly before. I have tried reinstalling all drivers, temps are all below 60 at all times, tried benchmarking the CPU and GPU and they seem to be working fine, updated BIOS, tried CCleaner to fix registries, scanned for malware, I don't know what else to try. The only thing I haven't tried is formating everything, but I wouldnt like to do that and it's kind of odd that this problem just came out of nowhere...

My config:

Z390 Aorus Master
i7 9700K
RTX 2070 Gigabyte Gaming OC
16GB Corsair 3200MHz
512 ADATA S11pro SSD
1TB Intel 665p SSD
Corsair RM750x

Monitor is MSI Mag271CR, 144hz

If you can give me some help that would be amazing. Thanks.
Please run this and post a link to your results

Feb 22, 2021
Hi, so I m back with the results, in the meantime I also tried formatting everything but that didn't make any difference. After 3 minutes of playing F1 the image even gets completely frozen for a few seconds after coming back to stuttering. Sometimes 150 FPS but with stuttering, sometimes freezing completely.

About the benchmark, I know that my RAM is not running in dual channel because ram slot 3 and 4 on my MB are not working properly, but it has been working like this for more than a year now without any issues, played everything smoothly. Do you think that could be my issue even though it as running fine until now?

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/40854029

Hi, so I m back with the results, in the meantime I also tried formatting everything but that didn't make any difference. After 3 minutes of playing F1 the image even gets completely frozen for a few seconds after coming back to stuttering. Sometimes 150 FPS but with stuttering, sometimes freezing completely.

About the benchmark, I know that my RAM is not running in dual channel because ram slot 3 and 4 on my MB are not working properly, but it has been working like this for more than a year now without any issues, played everything smoothly. Do you think that could be my issue even though it as running fine until now?

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/40854029
Yes dual channel woth two sticks is basically a needed thing otherwise your jist causing latency in the systems decoding.

Feb 22, 2021
Thanks for the reply, I don't know what I m talking about here but shouldn't this have happened from the beggining? I played a lot of games without any issue for almost a year and a half up until now, that's why I'm asking...

Thanks for the reply, I don't know what I m talking about here but shouldn't this have happened from the beggining? I played a lot of games without any issue for almost a year and a half up until now, that's why I'm asking...
i mean yes and no you were probably suffering from some sort of ill effict from this the whole time, just not noticing it. but now that systems are becoming more beastly and powerful. games are being updated to put out more graphic detail and things like that so they are pushing components to they're limits. if you look at you ram latency's the in the ms. if you look at most common dual channel system they're in the ns.

Feb 22, 2021
I understand. I will have to try with a different MB probably. I was kinda thinking its the GPU going bad, is there any way to know for sure if it's fine or not? Cause it's still under warranty but I wouldn't want to send it for nothing... thanks

I understand. I will have to try with a different MB probably. I was kinda thinking its the GPU going bad, is there any way to know for sure if it's fine or not? Cause it's still under warranty but I wouldn't want to send it for nothing... thanks
run occt on the gpu/graphics it will stress the gpu if it's the gpu it will show here however with the results you are getting from userbenchmark im doubting it's the gpu

Feb 22, 2021
I'm going to send the MB and RAM to warranty next week anyway, just wanted to know if I should send the GPU as well. Ran OCCT, 3d test and memory test for like 25 minutes each without errors so I guess it's fine...

Feb 22, 2021
Hi! So I'm back, changed the MB, RAMs are now working properly, User Benchmark is fine but the problem is still here although it's better. I was able to play for 3 hours at 144 FPS capped and it worked flawlessly until the GPU's coil whine became louder and the sttutering became really bad, low FPS too. After alt-tab for a few seconds it started working ok again... seems more like a GPU problem even though highest temp was 70...

Feb 22, 2021
If anybody has any kind of idea would be highly appreciated, I don't know what to do anymore. I'm able to game for 1-2 hours before the problem starts, when its stuttering the GPU makes weird noises like then coil whine is going on and off, if I alt+tab for a few minutes everything is back to normal. I attached a graph from afterburner when it stutters...

https://ibb.co/ZJZb5RL

If anybody has any kind of idea would be highly appreciated, I don't know what to do anymore. I'm able to game for 1-2 hours before the problem starts, when its stuttering the GPU makes weird noises like then coil whine is going on and off, if I alt+tab for a few minutes everything is back to normal. I attached a graph from afterburner when it stutters...

https://ibb.co/ZJZb5RL
Use imgur to post photos please.
As for other ideas as to what maybe going on... Sounds like the gpu has a bad capacitor if it's making noise. How old is the gpu?

Feb 22, 2021
View: https://imgur.com/pmZmv6F

The GPU is 1 year and a half old, never been used for anything other than light gaming. It is behaving like it would overheat and then when I alt+tab it cools off and starts to work properly again, but I am pretty sure it is not an overheating problem since my highest temp is 70C, looks like the gpu s clock just goes down at some point like some kind of protection...

Problems after a time are usually an indication of heat issues.
What is the make/model of your cpu cooler and case.
Start hwmonitor. It will record the current, minimum, and maximum cpu temperatures.

When your problem occurs, look at the cpu temperatures.
The minimum should be in the 10-15c. over ambient range.
If much more, there is a problem with cooling setup.
If you see a max of 100c. it means that your cpu has throttled to protect itself and that is the cause of the stuttering.

FWIW, userbenchmark is considered by some as junk science.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2021
CPU is watercooled and never gets above 60C, sits at 34 in idle. Checked tems with HWmonitor, OCCT and multiple other softwares, the hottest temp ever was 88C at the GPU Hot spot, while the GPU temp was 70C. Case is open now while testing so there is no airflow issue, I m pretty sure it is not an overheating issue, only if the 70C and 88C at the hotspot are too much for this GPU which I don't belive they are.