[SOLVED] sudden cpu bottleneck?

philipfan2005

Commendable
Mar 30, 2018
Hello, I have over 100 hours on metal gear solid 5 and 95% of the time I had stable 60fps only dropping to 50 or 45 when I performed certain actions. Suddenly it runs barely at 45 to 50 fps while my gpu usage stays at 50% and my cpu usage at 70 to about 90. I have a GTX 1050Ti and an i5 7400. There was a power outage for a second yesterday and maybe that caused the problem. Thanks in advance

Solution
run cpu-z/bench/stress CPU and confirm that on HWMonitor, that clock speeds of about 3.0, 3.1 GHz are achieved on all cores sustained, and, without overheating/throttling...(3.5 GHz should be seen on a single core occasionally, 3.4 GHz on 2 cores, etc., in desktop usage tasks if all is well)

That will at least tell us the CPU appears to be turboing correctly during gaming scenarios
Is your system/game fully stable otherwise? Have any of your settings changed? ...BIOS reset? Do you overclock? Any new drivers get installed recently?
This sounds like some setting(s) got changed. Verify all BIOS, driver, and performance tweak settings. Can you verify the same performance drop outside of MGS5?

No, I don't think it's a 'sudden cpu bottleneck'.

philipfan2005

Commendable
Mar 30, 2018
Is your system/game fully stable otherwise? Have any of your settings changed? ...BIOS reset? Do you overclock? Any new drivers get installed recently?
This sounds like some setting(s) got changed. Verify all BIOS, driver, and performance tweak settings. Can you verify the same performance drop outside of MGS5?

No, I don't think it's a 'sudden cpu bottleneck'.

Dark souls 3 also runs kinda weirdly considering it is not demanding at all. I get 45 to 60 fps in that game but I used to have a thing were my fps would be capped depanding on how many tasks my computer was performing. for example 50 fps if im not doing anything and 47 fps cap if i have discord opened as well while playing the game. But I'm pretty sure that at that time MGS5 was running just fine. My gpu is overclocked but it is not a new thing It's been like that for about 1.5 years. I reinstalled my gpu drivers even did a custom install and my game settings are the same the only thing I had changed was that I had the shadows truned on extra high but I set it on High and had the same resaults. Also I have no idea about anything bios related so can you help me here?

run cpu-z/bench/stress CPU and confirm that on HWMonitor, that clock speeds of about 3.0, 3.1 GHz are achieved on all cores sustained, and, without overheating/throttling...(3.5 GHz should be seen on a single core occasionally, 3.4 GHz on 2 cores, etc., in desktop usage tasks if all is well)

That will at least tell us the CPU appears to be turboing correctly during gaming scenarios

Solution

TRENDING THREADS