Question Sudden cpu clock speed drop while playing games.

Kruemnek

Commendable
Aug 3, 2020
I've always capped my cpu speed to 1.70 GHz so my laptop doesn't overheat. It was always fine but recently it drops from my limit to very low numbers like 0.50 - 0.90 and doesn't comeback. It happens when i'm playing games. The game i was playing in this case is roblox and theoretically shouldn't be THAT hard to run for my CPU. Usually after shutting down my laptop and opening it again it fixes the problem for 20 minutes of playing.

Things i tried :

Capping my fps in game to prevent possible throttling. I have expierenced CPU throttling because of temperature before and i know how it feels and looks in game and what changes it does to my framerate.
This is not temperature throttling and the maximum temperature i've reached playing this game was 65 degrees. Which is usually my normal temperature while playing anything.

I have fully reset my drive C: and windows but that didn't seem to help that much, so i was thinking maybe my CPU died.

My specs :
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U
GPU: Radeon Vega 8 Graphics.
RAM: 12 GB

Here is my power plan settings :
View: https://imgur.com/1h6bOVi

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Go to Bios and Turn OFF all the green features C-State power savers etc...
Go back to windows and put the Power settings on performance, kill hibernate. Limit or kill power savers there too.
I wouldn't list Integrated GPU as stand alone when showing specs, put it in line with CPU where it belongs, confusing readers.

Mohammad Agha

Prominent
May 25, 2022
Go to Bios and Turn OFF all the green features C-State power savers etc...
Go back to windows and put the Power settings on performance, kill hibernate. Limit or kill power savers there too.
I wouldn't list Integrated GPU as stand alone when showing specs, put it in line with CPU where it belongs, confusing readers.

same problem My processor speed is getting slow on using any program I have i7 3770 which have 3.40Ghz base frequency but it goes to 1-0.60ghz on gaming or anything.. I have disabled turbo mode in bios because when I enabled I'm getting driver irql error.. I tried to set minimum the minimum processor state to 90% but it doesn't help, utilisation goes to 90%+ up so reset it..
So can you tell me how can I solve this 🥲
also my cpu temps are goes to 90c when i open any program.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EFDuuF0mVeQn9WgdrTNr8J4lxFA_576n/view?usp=drivesdk

TRENDING THREADS