Question Sudden drop in GPU usage across the board ?

atticus_maytrap

Reputable
Nov 12, 2018
Hi there, as the title suggests, over the weekend i saw a rather significant drop in GPU usage from my 1080Ti while gaming.

Games that were once using 98-100% of the card are now down to using around 70-80%, with some games like Guardians of the Galaxy and Arkham Origins experiencing regular dips down to 0%, resulting in regular stuttering that makes the game unplayable.

I was experiencing a similar issue in late December, performed a clean install of the latest drivers at the time (511.23) and it fixed the issue, however it did see an over-correction of sorts - desktop programs that otherwise down need that much in the way of GPU power were suddenly clocking up to load levels and using 60-70%, whereas they were once only using about 10-20% as expected.

This current drop in GPU usage is with the same driver (511.23). I performed a DDU clean install to the latest driver (511.79) but the problem persists.
The only thing i know to have changed on the system prior to seeing the usage drop was a Steam client update.

Other than that, the problem seems to have come out of nowhere, GotG was working absolutely perfectly a few days prior.
Other games like AC Origins still seem to use the card as they need to.

Any ideas here?

windows 10
GTX 1080Ti
i9900k
850W Gold

Last edited:

atticus_maytrap

Reputable
Nov 12, 2018
cpu/ram/ssd usage during the game?
check cpu/gpu temp during the game?
so i checked the CPU/ Ram/ssd usage and everything there seems to be in order, its just a drop in GPU usage and even then, only with certain games, others games work as expected

one thing i did notice is that in the Geforce Experience App, when i go to check details of the games installed it says it "Cant retrieve that date right now, please check again later" when it usually says the game or program has been optimised.

It was like both before and after i did a DDU clean install of the latest driver.
Could this have anything to do with it?