Question Sudden drops in WiFi speed

eclipse457

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017
Hi!
I'm currently using a HP laptop with an Intel i3 5005U, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB HHD and running the latest version of Windows10. My issue is that whenever I start a large download (Steam, for example), it downloads at full speed for a minute or so, and then the download speed crawls down to a 300-400 kbps. This happens system-wide and the only way to temporarily fix this is to reboot my laptop. It's not a router issue since all other devices on my network are working fine.

My laptop has a Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi M.2 Adapter (latest drivers) and I usually get around 50 mbps on other devices. However, my laptop starts with 50 mbps and goes down to 2-3 mbps after a while. I've tried many online tips but they've been of no use. I also scanned with malwarebytes and my system is clean. Even the Task Manager shows no app having high network usage. I'm completely out of ideas. Also, currently I can't reset Windows since my exams are coming up and I won't have the time to set it up from scratch. Any ideas?

Thanks!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS