• Our team is working to address issues posting quotes or media to the forums. Please bear with us as we get this sorted out.

Question Sudden flicker of DELL Inspiron 7559 LCD display

Jun 19, 2021
Hi there,

My near 5-year old DELL Inspiron 7559's LCD display developed a strange issue today - the screen suddenly started flickering (see video below) for no apparent reason - there was no physical damage or any event really, I basically came back from the kitchen to the display flickering like this.

The issue seems to be software independent, as it occurs in GRUB and on both Windows and Ubuntu. I tried connecting a second monitor with HDMI and that works just fine.

I tried unplugging and re-connecting the display cable on both ends and moving parts of it around, with no results. Unfortunately, I don't really have other hardware for cross-testing at hand (short of picking apart my gf's laptop). Is this likely to be a cable issue or is the display giving up, or could this be something else entirely?

Any tips or troubleshooting steps would be appreciated - should I try replacing the cable or go for a new display?

Thanks!

ASK THE COMMUNITY