Sudden fps drop after black screen

kHz

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016
So i was playing a competitive game on CSGO and suddenly my screen went black for few seconds and after that my FPS dropped to 80-100 (before that event i had 200 constant fps), after this happened my fps are blocked to 80-100 and they wont go up. That's kinda weird to me since i always had the same FPS and now it suddenly goes down to 80-100, and it's not going back to normality. Please help i already tried a lot of things but seems like i can't solve this. If it can help the only thing i changed was the monitor (benq xl2411z), but i played with it for few hours and it was all fine...now i just can't solve this.

Finkledbody

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014
Sounds to me like the GPU is throttling under load due to either the GPU overheating or Power delivery. What GPU and PSU do you have? My 680 classified does this when I overclock it, it doesn't overheat or anything like that but it will black screen for 1-3 seconds and my fps drops by 30-50%.

I would start by taking the GPU apart to clean the fan and blow the heatsink out with High Pressure Air (Air can). If its still doing this, then you need to back down the graphics a bit. Or back down your overclock.

kHz

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016

i have a GTX750 Ti and i don't know what psu i own to be honest... I don't think i've even overclocked the gpu, and the highest temp it reached was like 60~... But i've played csgo for months and this never happened. It just happened today after few hours playing with the new monitor...

Finkledbody

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014
Everything you describe is the GPU throttling itself. There is no other explanation. You can verify this with a second monitor if you have one at your disposal. What is the make of your 750ti? (EVGA, MSI, ASUS?)

Depending on which make you have, you can download software (ex. Precision X, MSI Afterburner) that'll display temps, and clock speed. Now most of these aftermarket cards automatically overclock themselves, this will lead to them getting hotter after each use due to dust/debris after a 4-6+ months of everyday use. Dust acts as an insulator. So the card is throttling itself to a lower stock clock.

Clean your case and GPU.

kHz

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016

It's asus and i already have ASUS GPU Tweak installed that shows info about the card... So you say i just have to clean the case and gpu from dust and it will be solved?

kHz

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016

ok so i've clean everything inside the case gpu etc... but i still have that fps rate so nothing changed... i don't really know what to do this is getting me mad :pfff:

kHz

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016

and old 17" HannsG HW173AB 1440 x 900 res, but I don't think that matters at all. The new monitor was going even better than the old one (i had 25-30 fps more with the new one) so I don't think it's a monitor problem. The fps were constant at 200 the lower reached was like 170 in the worst scenario.

Finkledbody

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014
Well actually the monitor it self isn't the problem, its the amount of pixels the monitor displays that the GPU has to process for you to get a visual on the screen. You see your old monitor has 75% fewer pixels.

Old Monitor: 1440x900p = 1,296,000 pixels
New monitor: 1920x1080p = 2,073,600 pixels

You new monitor requires more GPU power. So you need to reduce your graphical settings in order to stabilize your system to match that of your old monitor.

Good luck!

kHz

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016

No that won't work. Reducing graphic settings will give even lower FPS (i know it's weird, but it happens), something around 50-60 fps. and since i'm playing in a 144hz monitor going under 60fps ain't good. I don't know if this can matter but i had a message about something like nVidia windows kernel driver crash few hours after that fps drops..

kHz

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016

Well then how is it possible that i had 200 constant fps for 4 hours of gaming? I seriously don't get it...

Finkledbody

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014
Lets dissect this so you understand better.

You got a new monitor that has more pixels (1920x1080p). You were playing CSGO and the computer screen went black. A few seconds later it came back on. What this tells us is your graphics card crashed due to instability. Now when this happens the GPU will 'reboot' itself to a lower clock. This is why you are going from 200fps to 80-100 after the black screen.

Okay, now remember how I told you your old monitor had less pixels? Fewer the pixels, the less information the GPU has to process. With this new monitor your GPU is working harder because of the extra pixels. And that extra work is making it crash.

Now I know you said you lowered the graphics and are achieving the same fps rates. What you need to know is that, Some graphical options don't have the same impact on fps. Lets take textures for example. Lets say you were playing @ medium settings with your new monitor and wanted to increase your FPS so you dropped textures to low but you saw no increase in FPS. That indicates textures is not demanding enough to effect performance. So you need to keep reducing settings to find the ones that have a real impact on your FPS.

So what does have a big impact on FPS?
Anti- Aliasing. Reduce that to 0.
Turn shadows off.
Vsync: off

Hope this helps KHZ

kHz

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016

So... I've tried playing on the old monitor and i got the exact amount of fps i have with the new one, even with same settings... That doesn't sound like a monitor problem to me don't you think?

kHz

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016

lol why? you told it was a monitor problem and if it was the real problem i should've way more FPS on the other monitor... but i got exactly the same amount of fps, that proves monitor ain't the problem.

MrWhatTheHell

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016
I'm sorry. KHz I have the same issue with Hitman: Blood Money and I tried looking for solutions till I came across this and see a retard by the name "Finklebody" acting like he knows what he's talking about? Mr.Finklebody, are you seriously retarded? All what you said has NOTHING to do with the FPS dropping, gpu clocking, are you fucking serious? All other games run 200/300 FPS for me accept Hitman Blood Money, and you tell this guy to clean his fucking GPU, of course it wouldn't help, please I beg you, don't post advice when you don't know yourself what the fuck are you saying, I had to stop and register to post this comment and express my thoughts of how fucking dumb you are...

Have a shitty day Finklebody. And kHz, you have a nice day, keep me updated if you find a solution please.
I'll continue seeking.

AlmightyBlight

Commendable
Jul 25, 2016

Okay, so I've just had the same issue with Skyrim. I came to this forum to read all above info, and to be honest everyone should chill out and stop being hostile. If Finkledbody wants to be like that it's fine, ignore him and try to look for solutions to help yourselves and others.

Now that's out of the way, I want to add what I know about this situation. I too have a 750ti, and it IS overclocked. +200 on the core clock and +400 on the memory clock.

- It's NOT a driver crash, no message is displayed for the current display drivers stopping
- I HAVE had this issue before, and it was also playing the very same game.
- I haven't tried returning to base clock, and I will try this.
- It is NOT heat/temp related in my instance, I know this as a fact. My GPU stays very cool when playing games and VERY rarely exceeds 60 degrees Celsius.
- My current fix for the issue is simply restarting my computer when it happens, upon booting up Skyrim after a restart all is fine.

I will say, it has only ever happened with Skyrim so far in my experience, and I do play a variety of games on this system. So if it does happen on another game I will report back here.