Question Sudden FPS drop and low GPU Usage

Apr 23, 2019
Hello,
So I've had this laptop for 2-3 months now and it worked perfectly until 2 days ago. I'v been playing Warframe a lot recently, had well above 60 FPS so used V-Sync and the game was running very smoothly and i never had dips under 60 FPS. Until 2 days ago, when my game starting getting low FPS. I disabled V-Sync so i can truly see my FPS, and Warframe was running at 60 max and was more often than not at 45-50 with 30 FPS dips. I've tried other games like Monster Hunter World and surely, got some very low FPS too. (About 20-30) I've tried a lot of things, looked at a lot of forums but didn't find anything. The only problem i can seem to find is that my Nvidia GPU isn't working that much during the game, it averages in the 20-30% sometimes going lower and sometimes going higher but never above 50% and for a short amount of time. My Integrated Intel GPU is also working at 10-20%, (I don't know if this is normal) and my CPU is at approximately 60-70%.
I've run a stress test using MSI Kombustor, and this time my GPU was running at 100% with a temperature of about 66°C.
It's extremely annoying as i bought this pc to get a better gaming experience and it already has problems. :/
- PC Specs:
Legion Y530
Nvidia GTX 1060 6g
8Gb Ram
Intel Core i5 8300H 2.30GHz Quad Core

By the way, i don't have that much knowledge in everything that is related to computers so if you could be explaining clearly what i should do, that would be so much better for me.
Thank you !

Diddly

Distinguished
I would first suggest you try upgrading the graphics drivers to the latest version offered by your laptop vendor. Alternatively try upgrading to the latest from nvidia direct.

Here are some links:
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/ - you need to create an account with them.
When updating drivers - it could be a good idea to create a restore point first
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4027538/windows-create-a-system-restore-point
Direct link to nvidia drivers: nvidia drivers for laptops

Apr 23, 2019
I would first suggest you try upgrading the graphics drivers to the latest version offered by your laptop vendor. Alternatively try upgrading to the latest from nvidia direct.

Here are some links:
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/ - you need to create an account with them.
When updating drivers - it could be a good idea to create a restore point first
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4027538/windows-create-a-system-restore-point
Direct link to nvidia drivers: nvidia drivers for laptops

Actually, by checking a few sites, i managed to make it and updated my drivers. Still, same problem as before. My Intel GPU and NVidia GPU are both working at about 40% when playing....
I'm really depressed at this....

Hi! Thanks for replying!
So a really weird thing happened. I went to https://www.nvidia.com/content/Driv...-international-whql.exe&lang=us&type=geforcem , and they say that my NVIDIA graphic driver isn't compatible with this version of windows. They also say that the graphic driver didn't find any graphic related material that is compatible.
What does that mean ?
I think you have the wrong version there. The latest I see for your system is 430.39.

I suggest not installing GeForce Experience (remove it, even, if updating the driver doesn't help).

Reactions: Diddly
Apr 23, 2019
I think you have the wrong version there. The latest I see for your system is 430.39.

I suggest not installing GeForce Experience (remove it, even, if updating the driver doesn't help).
Hi,
I couldn't download the 430.39 version manually so i tried GeForce Experience and it managed to download 430.39 on my pc. So right now, i should have the newest version for my GTX 1060. I also got the new windows update just to make sure but nothing... Problem still persists...

Apr 23, 2019
OK, I also mad some test and i got some strange news. So as i said, my UHD Intel Graphics Card works more than my GTX 1060 most of the time during gaming, but both don't go over 40%. I even went to the NVidia control panel to choose the GTX, but the Intel will keep on working too. So i decided to disable the Intel UHD Graphics Card intierely, and now, the game won't launch because of too much lag and my CPU goes to 100%... This really means that my GTX 1060 just isn't doing it's job somehow... I hope this helped figure out the problem. Thank you !

Apr 23, 2019
Update

Still trying out new stuff but for the moment nothing is working.

I did a MSI Kombuster test and i saw that my Nvidia GTX 1060 was working perfectly at 99%, but my Intel GPU was still working in the background.
View: https://imgur.com/a/rHOie9k

The second screen capture is just the task manager showing both my GPU's working while playing Warframe.
View: https://imgur.com/a/cPml5zV

(Also, you can see that my CPU isn't working that hard, it's at an average of 40% so i don,'t think there's a bottleneck... right?)

I also saw that 2 GPU's cannot work at the same time. So this means my GTX 1060 is just working in the background for nothing ?
This is such a puzzle, i really don't have any more ideas of what I should do right now...

With switchable graphics (NVidia Optimus, in your case), basic tasks default to the Intel HD Graphics, often times including driving the displays (internal and external). Because of this, disabling or uninstalling Intel Graphics causes more problems than people think. Rule of thumb is to have to have the Intel Graphics installed/updated before installing/updating the NVidia Graphics.

That aside, if you haven't already...

• Updated the Intel Graphics driver
  • Disabled or removed GeForce Experience

I suggest giving those a shot. Drivers or firmware are usually the cause behind under-utilization, which sounds like what you're running into. There's no bottleneck, your CPU is plenty powerful; different games tax hardware differently (ex: LoL or HotS are CPU intensive, while most modern titles stress the dedicated GPU more than CPU).

Apr 23, 2019
With switchable graphics (NVidia Optimus, in your case), basic tasks default to the Intel HD Graphics, often times including driving the displays (internal and external). Because of this, disabling or uninstalling Intel Graphics causes more problems than people think. Rule of thumb is to have to have the Intel Graphics installed/updated before installing/updating the NVidia Graphics.

That aside, if you haven't already...

• Updated the Intel Graphics driver
  • Disabled or removed GeForce Experience
I suggest giving those a shot. Drivers or firmware are usually the cause behind under-utilization, which sounds like what you're running into. There's no bottleneck, your CPU is plenty powerful; different games tax hardware differently (ex: LoL or HotS are CPU intensive, while most modern titles stress the dedicated GPU more than CPU).

Thanks for keeping up! It means a lot for me because i really want to remove the problem but i just can't do it without help...

I already tried updating the Intel GPU but it was apparently already updated.

Also, i had already removed GeForce Experience after getting the new driver update, but had to reinstall it be cause i re-removed the driver to try again, and the only way i could get the new update was by downloading GeForce Experience because when i tried to manually download the drivers, it would say that i don't have the right GPU.
So right now, i have GeForce Experience installed and I will try to remove it.

One question, why is removing GeForce Experience so important ?
And second question, anything else i can still do ?

Thanks a lot!

Apr 23, 2019
update

So installed a driver update for the Intel GPU that i actually didn't do, it didn't change anything performance wise.

I also tried something. So basically, i deactivated my NVidia GPU for the game, and i had horrible FPS. (5-15FPS) The Intel GPU was at 100% and my processor too. So now the issu is that people said on another forum that you can't get power from 2 separated GPU. Though, when i play Warframe, both my GPU's are activated but I still get more FPS than if it was the Intel GPU on it's own. So this would mean that it's only the GTX 1060 is actually working when I'm playing right? So why do i have such low FPS?
And another weird thing, i kept on testing and at one moment, my Nvidia GPU was working at 80%. (Which is more than double what it's doing normaly) But, i didn't have more FPS than before. All this is worrying me more and more because this now feels like a GPU Malfuction. But why would it perform pretty well when I test it on the MSI Kombustor?

I'm extremely lost. :/

Thanks for keeping up! It means a lot for me because i really want to remove the problem but i just can't do it without help...
Happy to help!

One question, why is removing GeForce Experience so important ?
It's "Auto-Tune" but for video games. Unfortunately it has a history of creating more trouble than it's worth. As a general rule, I've come to suggest doing away with it. One less variable, right?

And second question, anything else i can still do ?
You can see if there's a BIOS update available for your system. The video BIOS for the NVidia chip is likely embedded in whatever system BIOS update is available; updating the firmware might help. Have you also checked the NVidia Control Panel to make sure everything is set for Performance? Maybe set the graphics options there back to default?

both my GPU's are activated but I still get more FPS than if it was the Intel GPU on it's own
Well, I believe the CPU is allocating its processing power to the game, but the Intel HD Graphics aren't in use, per se. All the rendering, shaders, PhysX, etc. is being offloaded to the NVidia chip.

Apr 23, 2019
Happy to help!

It's "Auto-Tune" but for video games. Unfortunately it has a history of creating more trouble than it's worth. As a general rule, I've come to suggest doing away with it. One less variable, right?

You can see if there's a BIOS update available for your system. The video BIOS for the NVidia chip is likely embedded in whatever system BIOS update is available; updating the firmware might help. Have you also checked the NVidia Control Panel to make sure everything is set for Performance? Maybe set the graphics options there back to default?

Well, I believe the CPU is allocating its processing power to the game, but the Intel HD Graphics aren't in use, per se. All the rendering, shaders, PhysX, etc. is being offloaded to the NVidia chip.

Hi!

Ok so I uninstalled Nvidia GeForce Experience, so that's done.
I already tried setting everything to performance or reseting everything i have changed in Nvidia control panel. The only thing that made the FPS a little better, was change PhysX to GTX 1060. (In PhysX parameter)

Now, a thing that is to note is that people said that changing stuff for graphics card in BIOS could help.
Si I've done the BIOS update and accessed the BIOS, but, there is no parameter that i can change for my graphics card...
I tried everything in my BIOS, but my BIOS is pretty empty in the configuration tab compared to other peoples BIOS...
Any idea what could be the problem for that ?

Thanks!

Now, a thing that is to note is that people said that changing stuff for graphics card in BIOS could help.
Si I've done the BIOS update and accessed the BIOS, but, there is no parameter that i can change for my graphics card...
I tried everything in my BIOS, but my BIOS is pretty empty in the configuration tab compared to other peoples BIOS...
Any idea what could be the problem for that ?
Some people are coming from the wonderful world of desktop gaming PCs, where the BIOS setup has a lot more to offer. Notebooks almost always tend to have a pretty minimalistic set of parameters by comparison.

At this point, I feel like you've covered just about all your bases if you've...
  • Tried different Intel & NVidia graphics drivers
  • Updated system BIOS
  • Confirmed the system isn't overheating/thermal throttling
  • Confirmed NVidia Control Panel settings are setup properly to favor "Performance"
The only other thing you can try is to reinstall Windows altogether, start with a clean slate and then re-test your game(s). If it continues even after a clean/full install of Windows and the drivers, I'd say it might be time to get in touch with Lenovo support and see what they think.

Apr 23, 2019
Some people are coming from the wonderful world of desktop gaming PCs, where the BIOS setup has a lot more to offer. Notebooks almost always tend to have a pretty minimalistic set of parameters by comparison.

At this point, I feel like you've covered just about all your bases if you've...
  • Tried different Intel & NVidia graphics drivers
  • Updated system BIOS
  • Confirmed the system isn't overheating/thermal throttling
  • Confirmed NVidia Control Panel settings are setup properly to favor "Performance"
The only other thing you can try is to reinstall Windows altogether, start with a clean slate and then re-test your game(s). If it continues even after a clean/full install of Windows and the drivers, I'd say it might be time to get in touch with Lenovo support and see what they think.

Hey! Thank you for all of your help!

I'm really surprised today, after doing more random stuff i feel like it's finally working fine now. There's still a very minor loss in FPS but nothing very notable. My GPU is still not working that hard but i'm getting good performances so it might just be the game that is not that consuming.
If the problem comes back, i will do what you said.

So, the thing i changed just before everything went good was change my PhysX Settings to Nvidia GTX 1060 GPU. After this, everything was way better. Not saying it's actually this that changed everything but it's the thing I did just before...

Anyway, thanks for staying with me this long and helping me! I greatly appreciate it!
Goodbye!