sudden fps drop but for short period

ahmedsimple

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014
hi
ive been playing csgo for quite some time with my gaming set: fx 8320, 8gb ram, gtx 560ti 2gb, Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3,650w and 55A power supply.
built my setup march time but now we are in November and recently having this issue with fps drop and I'm not sure why, the fps doesn't drop for long maximum for 7 seconds but mostly when facing enemies or something and doesn't happen every round just random
wonder if it is from cpu overheat or gpu overhead, and also think it happens when ive been playing for over 5 hours :p
also I have recently cleaned the fan etc which helped but still it still dropped.

Solution
If cleaning a fan helped, then it could well be heat. The CPU isn't the only part that could be overheating; the VRMs on your motherboard might be getting too hot. What CPU cooler do you have?
You can use a program like MSI's Afterburner to measure your GPU temperature, and CoreTemp or HWINFO to get your CPU (and likely VRM) temperatures.

You can get something like an Antec Spotcool to point at your VRMs if they are the problem. Replacing the stock cooler with a 120mm tower cooler will also increase airflow over the motherboard. Please note that although the frequently parroted CM Hyper212 EVO is not a bad cooler, it is an atrocious bang/buck Loser. Prices and deals vary of course, but I personally have never seen one or more of its very similar competitors (e.g. Rosewill, Xigmatex, NZXT, Enermax, Masscool, Gammax; there are others) not available for 20% to 40% less money.