Question Sudden FPS drop in all games

Nov 23, 2021
Hello,

I was casually playing destiny 2 one night when my game had suddenly dropped a large amount of fps drop. The drop was very noticeable and that drop decided to stay. My fps had used to be at about 120-130 fps but now roams around 60-70. I’m still a novice in terms of pc but I’ve done the most I could in terms of checking for may be the culprit. Such as checking for malware, bottlenecking hardware, changing nvidia drivers and throttling. Yet, none of those issues exist on my system. Another example of my problem is BF2042 which despite having poor optimization I was able to maintain a high 80 fps 1440p on almost all ultra setting. That fps has now become 40-50 luckily through lowering the quality of the game but the issue still persists. Any recommendations are helpful since I still need learning on finding issues like these.

Thanks

Hardware:
Ryzen 3700x @ 4.2
Gigabyte aorus 3070
Trident z 3600 cat 16
Gigabyte x570 elite
Crucial 1tb
500gb wd blue hdd
Seasonic focus gx-750 gold

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Probably reinstall windows. You might have picked up a virus that is using your GPU to run crypto mining, or you might just have picked up a bad driver update. Either way, you say there’s no overheating happening, so the issue is likely software related.

Nov 23, 2021
Probably reinstall windows. You might have picked up a virus that is using your GPU to run crypto mining, or you might just have picked up a bad driver update. Either way, you say there’s no overheating happening, so the issue is likely software related.
Hello,

So I’ve done the process of reinstalling windows and didn’t find any difference in testing. I remained at the same fps from before. I’m unsure if there’s any difference when reinstalling windows with a different method since I used the media creation tool. I’ll reinstall again just to see if there’s difference.