[SOLVED] Sudden FPS drop spikes in Rust

Apr 25, 2020
So my computer runs completely fine and never has any problems on any other game such as Rainbow Six Siege, Counter-Strike:GO, and games of that type.

But whenever I play Rust for extended periods of time, I get really REALLY horrible FPS drops. It never happens when I first get on but after playing for a couple of hours, my FPS will jolt from 80 FPS max settings to a solid 5 FPS then back up to 80 FPS again. I have joined many different servers to see if it was a server issue and it isn't. Please note that I have an EXTREMELY powerful PC so something like this should never happen. I will list specs below

MOBO: Asus Strix X-570E
CPU: Ryzen 9 12-core Processor at 4GHz
GPU: EVGA Hybrid RTX 2070 SUPER
RAM: 32GB of Trident G.Skill at 3600MHz
CPU Cooler: 240mm Corsair H100i Platinum series

Those are the main speculations of my computer. I believe my CPU is overheating when I play Rust for long periods of time, but I am not completely sure. All I know is that Rust is one of the most CPU-intensive games on the market as of right now and my 240mm radiator may not be cooling it down enough. Let me know what you think is going on, and if overheating is the problem, would the stock prism cooler be better? Thank you, please respond ASAP.

Solution
From what is given, I'd say it could possibly be the cooling solution. To make sure, you can actually test this a couple ways.
When gaming, you can check the resource consumption and thermal levels by checking out programs on cpuid that can help read what is going on in your cpu while you are gaming.

as for cooling options, stock coolers are almost never the answer. The corsair H100i is a good cpu cooling choice, going back to stock would be a big downgrade.

G_Sanderat

Honorable
Jan 17, 2017
From what is given, I'd say it could possibly be the cooling solution. To make sure, you can actually test this a couple ways.
When gaming, you can check the resource consumption and thermal levels by checking out programs on cpuid that can help read what is going on in your cpu while you are gaming.

as for cooling options, stock coolers are almost never the answer. The corsair H100i is a good cpu cooling choice, going back to stock would be a big downgrade.

Reactions: Aikaru
Solution
Apr 25, 2020

Gotcha! Thank you!