Sudden FPS Drops In Games

shmuel1614

Honorable
Mar 16, 2018
Hello.
as many other gamers, I too play Fortnite as one of my main games.
I've been playing with 70-150 FPS without an FPS cap, later on capped at 60
for the reason being that I use a 60Hz monitor so I didn't see a point of using more FPS.
Lately, I've been receiving FPS drops in the most random occasions.
Let's say I've dropped down, start doing my own thing, nothing happens and I drop to 7-20 FPS for a few seconds and afterwards it goes back to 60 and repeats.
I do know that it has nothing to do with the graphics.
By G-Force Experience i can get my graphics even higher, but I've played with all graphics on low just to see whether it changes anything but still a no. Still getting drops.
I've checked my temps when in game and when not, the temps are just fine as far as I can tell. (MB: 40c, CPU 40-50c, GPU 45-60c)
I don't get this on other games, no drops.
I don't really have a beast gaming PC or smth, just a pre-build with a Graphics card I've put in. (not really a hardcore gamer)

P.S. I've noticed that when I play, it only takes 1.8GB of ram, like the game it self only used that amount for some reason.

Specs:

Motherboard: MSI H81M-E33 (MS-7817)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3240 @3.10 Ghz
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 (newly bought)
6GB RAM

So my question is, what is causing this to happen? do I need to buy new motherboard / add more RAM / new CPU or just all of it together? (cause i've planned on doing that for a while now)
or is there a fix for this?

Solution
Problems like that are usually due excess heat or background programs taking up too much system resources.

Since it is sudden , I would also look for any Windows updates in that same time period. The Windows updated graphics drivers are crap. So are their audio drivers.
So, you may need to update the driivers from the manufacturer website ( like geforce.com for Nvidia graphics drivers).
Problems like that are usually due excess heat or background programs taking up too much system resources.

Since it is sudden , I would also look for any Windows updates in that same time period. The Windows updated graphics drivers are crap. So are their audio drivers.
So, you may need to update the driivers from the manufacturer website ( like geforce.com for Nvidia graphics drivers).

Solution

aswindamara

Upstanding
Mar 16, 2018
Did you already download MSI Afterburner and see your CPU and GPU usage? It happens on my old pc when CPU goes to 90-100% but the GPU usage Unstable between 10%-80%. in fact, it's an old CPU (Bottleneck), because your CPU can't keep up with Gtx 1050.
Second, don't use diffrent module on RAM, it could affect on your Gaming Experience. My Suggestion buy another 4Gb ram with same frequency and timing.

shmuel1614

Honorable
Mar 16, 2018

Thank you so much, you saved me. I thought I had all drivers updated cause i used GeForce Experience to download game ready update but used Driver Booster 5.1 to find a outdated sound and game control driver outdated.
Again, thank you so much.

I doubt that the GTX 1050 is being bottle necked. The OP stated that it is a recent drop in performance.