Sudden FPS Drops On My Gaming Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

PickMyLussy

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016
Hello guys, first of all this is my first post so excuse me if i do anything wrong, ok so as the title suggests I'm having some sudden fps drops.
I'm Currently gaming on a HP Omen 2016
my specs are: 6700hq processor ; gtx 965M 4gbs ddr5 vram ; 12 gbs ddr4 ram ;
I noticed my problem when i was playing dota 2, i run this game at full graphics settings and i get around 100-120 fps and it's constant most of the times, but sometime my fps would just drop to 30-40 fps for 1-3 seconds then goes back up to 100s again i have read some posts and they suggested that i monitor my cpu temps and i did, my cpu temps were reaching 90 degrees Celsius but for only 1 second or so, most of the time its just hovering around 60-70 ive tried getting a cooler for my laptop, its only 32 CFM, therefore it did not make an impact whatsoever. Can you help me guys ? Please, I'm really desperate ive already spent 1.3k$ on this laptop worked hard for 5 months so i could get it. and now its really annoying me, i don''t know what to do

Solution
check ur cpu clock when the drop happends . i had a similar problem and found out that my cpu gets capped to 0.78 ghz clock so i installed throttlestop and been working just fine since 8 months . i just open the software and uncheck BD PROCHOT and boom u have ur cpu clock back to 3.2 :)
one more thing try to roll back some gpu drivers as the newer ones tend to be unstable.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Try lowering your graphics detail to a slightly lower setting to reduce the CPU/GPU load (and heat generated) to see if that helps. It does appear that your system is throttling to prevent itself from damage due to the excess heat levels. What make/model laptop cooler did you purchase?

PickMyLussy

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016
The cooler i bought is a havic, but im pretty sure it's a copy model or even a crappy one, because i only bought it for 10$ and its not really that effective, i'm currently searching the market for some high end coolers, but the sudden fps drop is really annoying especially when playing competitive games like dota 2. I have tried lowering the settings to the absolute minimum but the fps drops were still happening.

talha5541

Commendable
Aug 4, 2016
check ur cpu clock when the drop happends . i had a similar problem and found out that my cpu gets capped to 0.78 ghz clock so i installed throttlestop and been working just fine since 8 months . i just open the software and uncheck BD PROCHOT and boom u have ur cpu clock back to 3.2 :)
one more thing try to roll back some gpu drivers as the newer ones tend to be unstable.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.