Question Sudden FPS drops while gaming

Mar 10, 2019
So I've built a new PC not to long ago, and I've been playing games no problems. My PC seems to handle most games at very high, or ultra preset. However recently, my games are not performing the way they used to. I'm getting massive frames drops, and I'm not sure why. I've uninstalled my graphics drivers, and reinstalled them, and the problem still persist. I checked to see if I had a virus, and didn't find any. Nothing in my task manager seems to be in the way either, so I'm not sure what the problem could be.

My specs:

Ryzen 7 1700 (not overclocked)
Asrock B450m HDV
8gb 2400 Patriot Viper Elite
Red Devil RX 580 8gb
630 watt PSU Raidmax

Mar 10, 2019
This might be the culprit, IMO. I don't think this PSU model is a very reliable and High quality unit. Any signs of overheating on your PC ?
My temps while gaming are normal. I doubt it's the PSU. I was playing the division 2 last week, at the highest preset with no problems. Now the game is literally telling me my PC doesn't meet the minimum requirement.

I doubt it's the PSU. I was playing the division 2 last week, at the highest preset with no problems. Now the game is literally telling me my PC doesn't meet the minimum requirement.

Okay, but is that the ONLY game which exhibits this behavior, which is sudden FPS drops, or even other PC titles ? Have you tried to re-install DIVISION 2 as well, just in case it's not specific to this particular game ? Are you using a FRESH/clean copy of your OS ?

Some recent Windows 10 updates have been causing some issues lately though. BTW, I would still not overlook your PSU model.

Mar 10, 2019
Okay, but is that the ONLY game which exhibits this behavior, which is sudden FPS drops, or even other PC titles ? Have you tried to re-install DIVISION 2 as well, just in case it's not specific to this particular game ? Are you using a FRESH/clean copy of your OS ?

Some recent Windows 10 updates have been causing some issues lately though. BTW, I would still not overlook your PSU model.
Sorry for the late reply, but no. Assassin's Creed Origins is also performing worse than before. I did a clean install of my drivers, and bench marked The Division 2. I noticed my CPU wasn't being fully utilized. Could this be the problem?

And I've updated windows recently. It is a clean copy of windows 10 home. The PSU i'm using is 80plus certified. I haven't had any problems with it before.

Don't know man, but I still think it could be your power supply. Because Raidmax is usually not a recommended brand for power supplies. Do not sacrifice reliability and performance. That's not a very good power unit though. It doesn't even say whether that unit is certified as well, like e.g. Bronze, Gold, Silver.

Though, others can correct me if I'm wrong. It could also be some other issue on your system.

Mar 10, 2019
Don't know man, but I still think it could be your power supply. Because Raidmax is usually not a recommended brand for power supplies. Do not sacrifice reliability and performance. That's not a very good power unit. It doesn't even say whether that unit is certified as well, like e.g. Bronze, Gold, Silver
My unit has the 80plus bronze. I'm not saying it's the not the PSU, but I haven't had any problems with it. I was wondering if it was my CPU not being fully utilized. Cause when I played The Division 2, the GPU was at 100% and the CPU was at 45%.

Core parking basically makes any processor goes into a sleep state. This allows your computer to save power. Not sure about your Ryzen CPU, but just make sure the Windows 10 High Performance power plan is being used. Are you on a 1080p monitor screen ? Also check the AMD Ryzen Master settings.

You can give this a read as well, just for some reference:

https://coderbag.com/programming-c/disable-cpu-core-parking-utility

Mar 10, 2019
Core parking basically makes any processor goes into a sleep state. This allows your computer to save power. Not sure about your Ryzen CPU, but just make sure the Windows 10 High Performance power plan is being used. Are you on a 1080p monitor screen ? Also check the AMD Ryzen Master settings.

You can give this a read as well, just for some reference:

https://coderbag.com/programming-c/disable-cpu-core-parking-utility
Yes my monitor is native 1920 by 1080. Enable high performance plan? What about the core parking?

Enable high performance plan?

I was talking about this. Also, I think you check the Core parking status via the RYZEN Master utility. There are also 2 modes to look for, GAME as well as Creator. Game mode is for Threadripper CPUs. Game mode disables half the cores on the CPU. Use the creator mode instead.

8319702515cb49e77e8bb3219c9b667dd2debdac4aa92da15ea2ee85959465490ecd185f.jpg

Mar 10, 2019
I was talking about this. Also, I think you check the Core parking status via the RYZEN Master utility. There are also 2 modes to look for, GAME as well as Creator. Game mode is for Threadripper CPUs. Game mode disables half the cores on the CPU. use the creator mode.

Alright, so I've enabled high performance parking. I'm currently installing the ryzen master utility. I'll let you know if any of the cores are parked.

Mar 10, 2019
I was talking about this. Also, I think you check the Core parking status via the RYZEN Master utility. There are also 2 modes to look for, GAME as well as Creator. Game mode is for Threadripper CPUs. Game mode disables half the cores on the CPU. Use the creator mode instead.

So according to the ryzen master settings, none of my cores have been disabled.

Mar 10, 2019
One more thing to check when it comes to the Ryzen Master utility. There are actually 2 modes to look for, GAME as well as Creator. Game mode is for Threadripper CPUs. Game mode disables half the cores on the CPU. Use the creator mode instead for max perf.
I'm going to run a bench mark on Division 2. I'll show you the results.

Mar 10, 2019
One more thing to check when it comes to the Ryzen Master utility. There are actually 2 modes to look for, GAME as well as Creator. Game mode is for Threadripper CPUs. Game mode disables half the cores on the CPU. Use the creator mode instead for max perf.
So I ran a bench mark, and the problem persisted. I attempted to take a screenshot, but the game crashed, and my pc froze. So i'm not sure what to do.

Mar 10, 2019
I give up. The problem's still persist. I have a feeling it's cause my cpu isn't being 100% utilized, so I'm gonna reinstall windows, and wipe my drive.

Mar 1, 2019
Ok, from my experience, I also get sudden fps drops that lead to stuttering and I found the reason. For me, it is my connection to the internet that is causing all the sudden fps drops. I don't know if you're using wifi or not, but I do, and boy does it happen at least once every 10 mins. I've heard of others also having the same problem like me so I'm wondering if it's also just a problem with your connection to your router. I guess another thing that could potentially cause these fps drops is that you lowered your cpu usage way way lower than the default 100%. I personally have mine set at 65% so Idk if that would actually be a cause. I'm no computer know-it-all :( Well, hopefully you'll fix it soon.