Question Sudden FPS drops while gaming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 10, 2019
So I've built a new PC not to long ago, and I've been playing games no problems. My PC seems to handle most games at very high, or ultra preset. However recently, my games are not performing the way they used to. I'm getting massive frames drops, and I'm not sure why. I've uninstalled my graphics drivers, and reinstalled them, and the problem still persist. I checked to see if I had a virus, and didn't find any. Nothing in my task manager seems to be in the way either, so I'm not sure what the problem could be.

My specs:

Ryzen 7 1700 (not overclocked)
Asrock B450m HDV
8gb 2400 Patriot Viper Elite
Red Devil RX 580 8gb
630 watt PSU Raidmax

Mar 10, 2019
I haven't lowered my CPU usage, and to be quite honest, I don't know how to do that. I've reinstalled windows, and did a clean install of my amd drivers. My games should run the way they did last week.

Mar 10, 2019
Ok, from my experience, I also get sudden fps drops that lead to stuttering and I found the reason. For me, it is my connection to the internet that is causing all the sudden fps drops. I don't know if you're using wifi or not, but I do, and boy does it happen at least once every 10 mins. I've heard of others also having the same problem like me so I'm wondering if it's also just a problem with your connection to your router. I guess another thing that could potentially cause these fps drops is that you lowered your cpu usage way way lower than the default 100%. I personally have mine set at 65% so Idk if that would actually be a cause. I'm no computer know-it-all :( Well, hopefully you'll fix it soon.
So after reinstalling windows and installing the latest drivers, the problem's still persist. In the games I've tested the CPU is not at 100%. If it's not the CPU then it may be my hdd. Does anyone know how to check for error in a hard drive? I have all my games installed on a 1 tb hard drive separate from windows.