[SOLVED] Sudden FPS Drops

Jan 13, 2021
so basically back in november i started experiencing sudden fps drops in games i play (minecraft,overwatch,osu) and im not sure why. my setup was built in 2019 and only thing old in my computer is my monitor which is a 7 year old samsung sa350. i really wanna solve this problem as i use the computer very often

specs:
amd ryzen 5 2600
nvidia geforce gtx 1660
some 8gm ram

my gpu and cpu are currently 45C and 39C but can rise to 51C and 48C

am thinking of changing monitor but want help first

Solution
ok so i went to check in task manager, my memory slot is 1 of 2? and the speed is 2667mhz

It seems like you have 2 sticks of RAM, 4 GB each.

Not only is 8 GB of RAM not enough for most modern gaming, your RAM speed is too slow for a Ryzen CPU to run at its best. Thus, your RAM is causing you both potential RAM and CPU issues.

I would recommend that you buy 2 x 8 GB of RAM that is rated to run at 3200 MHz.
Do you have 1 x 8 GB stick of RAM or 2 x 4 GB of RAM? If you have only one stick of RAM, then you are running in single-channel mode which is a major performance limiter. Also, Ryzen CPUs are very sensitive to RAM speeds and will run significantly slower if the speeds are not high enough. What speed is your RAM running at?

Jan 13, 2021
Do you have 1 x 8 GB stick of RAM or 2 x 4 GB of RAM? If you have only one stick of RAM, then you are running in single-channel mode which is a major performance limiter. Also, Ryzen CPUs are very sensitive to RAM speeds and will run significantly slower if the speeds are not high enough. What speed is your RAM running at?
ok so i went to check in task manager, my memory slot is 1 of 2? and the speed is 2667mhz

It seems like you have 2 sticks of RAM, 4 GB each.

Not only is 8 GB of RAM not enough for most modern gaming, your RAM speed is too slow for a Ryzen CPU to run at its best. Thus, your RAM is causing you both potential RAM and CPU issues.

I would recommend that you buy 2 x 8 GB of RAM that is rated to run at 3200 MHz.

Solution
Jan 13, 2021
hmmm ok, thanks for the advice! would you recommend any ram that i could buy at a budget? im still studying so the only way i could buy it is to save up and im replacing the monitor as well (theres a green horizontal line on the monitor) would prefer a budget one

hmmm ok, thanks for the advice! would you recommend any ram that i could buy at a budget? im still studying so the only way i could buy it is to save up and im replacing the monitor as well (theres a green horizontal line on the monitor) would prefer a budget one

Anything that can run at 3200 MHz should suffice; I personally use Corsair Vengeance RAM.

As far as replacing your monitor is concerned, you should purchase a 24 inch 1080p gaming monitor that is "g-sync compatible" and has a variable refresh rate. Read reviews for different monitors; I prefer ones with good colors and brightness.