Sudden FPS/GPU Usage Drops

MrCookiie

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
Sorry if this isn't relevant to the category I'm new to this website and didn't know what to put it under :p

So I've had this problem for a while now were when I've played a "intense" game (Skyrim or Battlefield 3) I get sudden FPS drops. It started back when I got my new PCU, I got a graphics card for my birthday last year and my Dad helped me install it. Five days after installing it my PCU blew lucky enuff it didn't damage and components that I know of. So we bought another one (660W) which should of been enough but after an hour of using it that PCU also blew, again not damaging any components that I know of. So we sent that one back and bought a 880W PCU. This worked fine till after a few weeks I noticed this problem accuring. Since then I got a new processor for my birthday (FX 8350) which works perfectly fine and means I can run BF3 at around 60 - 80 FPS on Ultra. But I seem to still have this problem, so me and my Dad set out trying to find a solution. So first of all we decided to look at overheating. My case temperature tends to be around 40C when playing BF3 but it seems when it reached 43C I have this FPS drop but the weird thing about this is none of my components were overheating. My GPU was on 40C and my Processor on 43C which I think is normal. So we decided to download some software to monitor all kinds of things to do with my computer such as temps of components and so on. With one piece of software (Tech Power Up GPU-Z) we noticed that the second my game drops in FPS so did my GPU usage. We jumped to the conclusion that it was my PCU as previously a friend told me that my PCU is known for not being very good (My PCU is a HEC Compucase G7 Power Extreme 880W Power Supply) and because the GPU usage was dropping at a certain temperature my PCU was maybe overheating resulting in not sending my GPU anuff voltage. I tend to take the side off of my case and blow a fan on it resulting in the temperature lowering to 34C but still resulting in this issue.

If anyone could suggest a solution on how I could fix this such as trying a different power supply or something that would be great. If any more information is required such as the results from Tech Power Up GPU-Z or computer specs then feel free to ask. Thanks :)

James Orme

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
Unsure why no one responded.

Make sure you go to the graphics card's website and download the latest drivers.

Also it sounds more like the GPU is overheating than the PSU (Power Supply Unit) not PCU haha.

When you downloading the Graphics (GPU) drivers install them as a clean install (should be an option if Nvidia, if AMD I am unsure if they offer that option) and download overclocking software for you specific Graphics card. Note you will not be overclocking it, but most standard graphics card will let you control the GPU fan if you have overclocking software only.

Try with the fan at about 60% and see if that helps.

If you provide me with more information on the Graphics card then I might be able to help.

MrCookiie

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013

I already had the latest drivers, I got a new Power Supply and a new Graphics Card which didn't fix my problem. In the end I decided to research into my Motherboard more and I found that it was my Motherboard throttling my GPU and Processor as it couldn't supply enough watts. So I got a new Motherboard and I have no more FPS drops in any of my games! :D
My old Motherboard was a MSI 760GM-P21 so if anybody has this same problem and this Motherboard buying a new one will most likely fix it.

James Orme

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
Oh glad to hear it. At least I was half right with the throttling of the Graphics card lol. Well actually I said more likely overheating GPU which would of resulted in throttling. I knew it was throttling some where ;)

Also yes many people think, "oh the Motherboard isn't important, ill get a cheapo one at it will be fine" Or in your case you just had the incorrect one for your components, and the problem is they are the "nerve" System of your PC, where all communication between components occur.

Glad you fixed your issue!

TRENDING THREADS