Question Sudden Hard Reboots

Oct 7, 2022
Hi everyone,

I'm about to pay someone more knowledgable than myself but figured I would reach out here for some insight first.

Built the PC 6-7 months ago and has been running without any issues up until a few days ago. No hardware was changed.

All of a sudden, randomly my PC just goes dead and reboots. The first time it happened I was in OW2 menu, then it's happened multiple times just idling in windows. Couldn't run memtest due to it happening. Windows only logs the critical shutdown event not what caused it.

I should also mention I don't see anything with regards to temps. I played OW2 for a few hours today and my GPU stayed below 60 and my CPU never went above 60 either.

Things I have tried;
reseat all PSU cables
Disable XMP
Update BIOS, chipset drivers ect
DDU GPU drivers and re-install latest

Build;
ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A gaming wifi D4 Motherboard
Intel 12700k
Corsair 3600mhz RAM (32G)
Corsair RM850x PSU
Corsair H100i Elite 240mm AIO

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I'm about to pay someone more knowledgable than myself but figured I would reach out here for some insight first.

Built the PC 6-7 months ago and has been running without any issues up until a few days ago. No hardware was changed.

All of a sudden, randomly my PC just goes dead and reboots. The first time it happened I was in OW2 menu, then it's happened multiple times just idling in windows. Couldn't run memtest due to it happening. Windows only logs the critical shutdown event not what caused it.

I should also mention I don't see anything with regards to temps. I played OW2 for a few hours today and my GPU stayed below 60 and my CPU never went above 60 either.

Things I have tried;
reseat all PSU cables
Disable XMP
Update BIOS, chipset drivers ect
DDU GPU drivers and re-install latest

Build;
ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A gaming wifi D4 Motherboard
Intel 12700k
Corsair 3600mhz RAM (32G)
Corsair RM850x PSU
Corsair H100i Elite 240mm AIO
Work with memtest86 start making it smaller.

Unplug all disk....test.

I tried to run memtest86 but it crashed almost right away.

Only one Samsung nvme drive installed.

Can attempt memtest86 again.
This is just making the suspect list smaller.

Work with memtest which removes windows from the mix.

Unplug all disk to get them out of the mix.

You might want to make sure memtest86 works on another pc so you don't end up chasing your tail around.

Oct 7, 2022
This is just making the suspect list smaller.

Work with memtest which removes windows from the mix.

Unplug all disk to get them out of the mix.

You might want to make sure memtest86 works on another pc so you don't end up chasing your tail around.

Yeah ok good call.... Thanks

I guess since I had a crash while running memtest that should indicate my issue isn't windows/driver related?

Oct 7, 2022
Update, it seems as though if I remove my GPU (Asus TUF 3080) the PC is stable. While the GPU was installed I monitored all temps in GPUz while gaming and nothing was alarming so I assume I have some hardware fault in the actual card itself? Don't have another GPU to test.