sridhars

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2014
The heating issue cropped up about two days back. I installed Solidworks 4 days ago and ANSYS student 3 days ago.
The laptop was bought in Sept 2019, specifications are:
  1. i7-9750H
  2. Nvidia 1660 Ti Max Q
  3. 512GB SSD
  4. 1TB SSD
  5. 12 GB RAM
It has been on dual boot since the beginning, UBUNTU 18.04 LTS was installed a month ago.
Windows was also updated recently.
The CPU usage is low, about 6-10% all the time, Solidworks and ANSYS products are not running, and even when using the temperature remains constant at around 65-80 C. I am India and it is hot, about 35 C, but still the temperatures are too hot.
Dust accumulation on the fans below was visible but I clean it up using a tiny paint brush regularly.
What could be the problem?
Thermal paste?
Fans?
Thermal pads?
Please help, I don't want my laptop to die.
P.S. : My charger body got cracked about 5 months ago, but I don't think that should be a problem? It still charges fine.
Edit: And you know whats funny? If I play Minecraft or use Solidworks, the temperature drops.
Also HWmonitor is reporting rubbish powers, 450 Watts or so on the cpu.
Edit: The temperatures are really low on ubuntu, around 35 - 45 C even though the Nvidia driver power optimization is not so good in UBUNTU.

Last edited:

sridhars

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2014
I found out what the problem is. Kasperky. The laptop runs really cool while on battery. Chrome tabs are open full of pdfs and videos etc. Still it is running cool, 40-50C. In the power settings I changed all the settings to those given in battery mode. But, Kaspersky has an option which says "Disable scheduling tasks when on battery mode". So Kaspersky is the problem, definitely. Any reviews? Any solutions?