[SOLVED] Sudden inflation of HD prices

Aug 16, 2020
Two weeks ago I was looking at getting a couple Western Digital Ultrastar DC 18TB drives, and I found prices at $389 and $429 at two different stores. Checking today and those prices rose to $629 and $699, respectively.

Has anyone else seen such a drastic jump in such a short period with other hard drives? That's just insane to me. Is there a shortage of drives causing the price increase, or are we looking at true price inflation? I want to order a couple, but this 62% price increase is preventing that.

Solution
Possible price is increasing, which is why I already ordered my 10+ TB HDD :)
Perhaps due to the new craze that the Chia crypto currency brought about. I read from somewhere that storage prices in China have already skyrocketed.
Was lucky enough to order it but the vendor didn't jack up the price.
Possible price is increasing, which is why I already ordered my 10+ TB HDD :)
Perhaps due to the new craze that the Chia crypto currency brought about. I read from somewhere that storage prices in China have already skyrocketed.
Was lucky enough to order it but the vendor didn't jack up the price.

Reactions: Krotow
Solution

Lutfij

Titan
Depending on your location, it's highly probably that the demand of drives exceeds that of the supply. You might also want to understand that the pandemic isn't making things easier with logistics being taxed. Then is the matter about Chia taking hold...and yes it supposed to trigger SSD shortages or artificial inflation of prices of storage but that shouldn't affect HDD's, then again this mining fiasco has ruined a lot of things.

Reactions: martinch and Krotow
Two weeks ago I was looking at getting a couple Western Digital Ultrastar DC 18TB drives, and I found prices at $389 and $429 at two different stores. Checking today and those prices rose to $629 and $699, respectively.

Has anyone else seen such a drastic jump in such a short period with other hard drives? That's just insane to me. Is there a shortage of drives causing the price increase, or are we looking at true price inflation? I want to order a couple, but this 62% price increase is preventing that.

It's all tied to Chia miners...better buy now as it will get much worse soon.

Reactions: Krotow

USAFRet

Titan

Just like GPUs, minig is the culprit.
Chia mining, to be specific.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...use-a-storage-shortage.3701927/#post-22308409

TRENDING THREADS