Question Sudden issues with windows OS and SSD

nickname1400

Reputable
Oct 7, 2016
So I was having some issues with my new PC restarting randomly every few minutes so I went to bios to see if there was a problem with my boot drive. All of a sudden, the SSD that I had installed with windows 10 would refuse to boot and it booted with my HDD (which also has a windows 10 OS installed) every time. I unplugged that so that the only bootable device was the SSD but then it apparently wont be recognised as a boot device and comes up with this message on start-up.

“Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key”

It has been working fine until now.

Specs:
Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E
Intel 8700
32gb of Tridentz G.Skill ram
2070 Asus Strix

nickname1400

Reputable
Oct 7, 2016
It booted before with both, never had any issues with it booting with the HDD, it did however occasionally restart randomly with both in. i’m going to assume it was because of the HDD it did this. I dont need it but its nice to have the extra space, would uninstalling the OS on the HDD prevent interruptions from it with the SSD’s boot?

USAFRet

Titan
It booted before with both, never had any issues with it booting with the HDD, it did however occasionally restart randomly with both in. i’m going to assume it was because of the HDD it did this. I dont need it but its nice to have the extra space, would uninstalling the OS on the HDD prevent interruptions from it with the SSD’s boot?
Well...with only ONE PS in the system, there is no possibility of it trying to boot form a different one. Which often results in user facing confusion.
"hmmm...what am I booted into?"

1. Does the system boot up with ONLY the SSD connected? Physically disconnect the HDD and test this.
  2. What else is on the HDD? Unfortunately, there is no "uninstall" of an OS like that. DELETE is what is needed. That includes all the previous boot partitions.

nickname1400

Reputable
Oct 7, 2016
  1. Yes it does boot with only the SSD.
  2. It was what I used on a previous PC and was my main boot drive. The problem I started getting was when the SSD wouldn’t boot, it had obviously booted some version of my HDD as I could see all the files and the desktop settings I had with that drive. Deleting the partitions makes sense however.