The123qwe

Commendable
Feb 27, 2021
I have an Asus FX505D, bought 3 months ago (new), running the latest update of windows 10. I have a 256GB SSD for storage and a single, 16GB RAM stick.

My problem was, that out of nowhere, OneNote threw up a memory error message, asking me to restart. When I did, I was faced with the win10 login screen loaded (corner buttons, date, time, login background) and an error message from logonui.exe [tl;dr: I/O error -> data wasn’t placed into memory -> command couldn’t be executed]

Along with this, a BIOS screen (American Megatrends) pops up every boot saying: M.2 PCIE SSD SMART status Bad, Backup and Replace F1 to continue (boots to os on f1)

After this I tried booting up into safe mode (Shift + Restart): the screen froze till I pressed ‘Ok’ on the error message, but nothing else happened.

Tried entering winRE by force restarting (pressing the power button when windows was booting up), didn’t go once into that mode (10-12 tries, 3-5 times consecutively)

Tried checking things in BIOS (laptop restarted on its own once, booted into bios with no boot options recognized)

Went to Asus recovery mode to no avail (surprise)

Unscrewed the back of the laptop, removed SSD and put it back in, same with RAM

So basically I think my SSD is done for, which wouldn’t be great. But is an SSD failure really this common 3 months in? Also if the SSD is borked why does it even boot into windows and display the logonui.exe error? Maybe thats the only broken thing? Then why did the SSD just completely disconnect at one point? But this whole thing a little bizarre to me.

What do you guys think?

ℹ Moderator warning: mind your language !

Last edited:
Solution
Along with this, a BIOS screen (American Megatrends) pops up every boot saying: M.2 PCIE SSD SMART status Bad, Backup and Replace F1 to continue (boots to os on f1)
you think ssd is done? Your pc is telling you it is.
S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology; often written as SMART) is a monitoring system included in computer hard disk drives (HDDs)
SMART - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

get a new m.2 Just because it works now doesn't mean it will next time. Replace it if BIOS tells you its going bad.

if laptop is only a few months old you might get replacement m.2 under warranty as it should have lasted longer than it did.

Colif

Win 11 Master
you think ssd is done? Your pc is telling you it is.
S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology; often written as SMART) is a monitoring system included in computer hard disk drives (HDDs)
SMART - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

get a new m.2 Just because it works now doesn't mean it will next time. Replace it if BIOS tells you its going bad.

if laptop is only a few months old you might get replacement m.2 under warranty as it should have lasted longer than it did.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS