Question Sudden Loss of HDD (Not system Drive) "D" Storage Drive

jsvez2010

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
So I have been looking through some of the other threads, I have a similar situation as a few. I windows 10, gaming system, the computer has (2) 1TB drives. "C" is the system Drive, until yesterday "D" was a secondary internal storage drive. I went to work and the drives were functioning normally, when I returned home, I went to do some work and my system will not read the secondary !TB drive. I get an error saying drive not found or accessible. I can see it in Device manager, it is a Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB HDD (looked up online) The other is a Seagate. The primary drive works fine.

The secondary drive indicates Unknown, and indicates it needs to be initialized, showing a partition, I made some screen shots, but did nit load here to keep this size down

2019-07-10 21_20_16-Device Manager _ Disk 1 not initialized
2019-07-10 21_20_16-Device Manager _ Disk 1 not initialized prop window
2019-07-10 21_20_16-Device Manager _ Disk 1 not initialized prop window 2
2019-07-10 21_20_16-Device Manager _ Disk 1 not initialized prop window 3

I tried to initialize but I get a failure error. I honestly have not gon into the Bios yet, will probably go in tomorrow, additionally try swapping cables, but this is in a desktop, in a cool open location, good ventilation, the unit (HDD) is about 2 years old, no noises like ratteling and such, no issues at all, no freezing for data, nothing, I just went to work, came home, opened explorer, clicked the drive and bam.

Note, windows did do an update while I was gone to work, but I am not thinking a windows update could cause an issue could it?

Well that is my sad story. Some of my data is on cloud for the drive, but I stand to lose about 8500 music albums and about 400 videos from the drive.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Sounds like the drive has died. Frequently their failure is sudden. Clicking noise is just one type of failure.

You can try data recovery software. You'll need a new drive connected to restore data to. One which is larger than the drive being recovered.

Kroll Ontrack gets good reviews as does Stellar Phoenix. Although PCMag says Ontrack does a little better job in detecting files.

If your data is very important to you. Consider shipping to a professional data recovery service. The more you fiddle with the drive. The greater the damage which can occur. A drive which may have been recoverable by a pro often becomes unrecoverable because the owner tried a DIY approach first. Just turning it on can cause more damage. Trying to scan it can destroy it. Don't go to a local computer shop. They don't have the right facilities for data recovery and will just use the same software you can buy.

Your system has a 1TB Toshiba drive and a 3TB Seagate. The Toshiba appears to be OK. However, the Seagate is being detected with a capacity of 3.86GB. If you check the BIOS, or CrystalDiskInfo, you will probably find that its model and serial number are incorrectly reported. This is a symptom of a heads/media fault. Does it click 11 times and then spin down?

jsvez2010

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Your system has a 1TB Toshiba drive and a 3TB Seagate. The Toshiba appears to be OK. However, the Seagate is being detected with a capacity of 3.86GB. If you check the BIOS, or CrystalDiskInfo, you will probably find that its model and serial number are incorrectly reported. This is a symptom of a heads/media fault. Does it click 11 times and then spin down?

No there are no clicking noises at all

jsvez2010

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Does the Seagate drive spin up?

I believe the other gentleman is correct, it may be the Segate after all, sorry for my mix up. And additionally I was in error, it is a 3TB drive.

I just pulled the side cover, there were a couple faint clicks, and and I heard one drive start to spin, then the other, pretty close together I could definitely hear to separate spin ups, and I can feel a very light vibration from each ch drive.

This may e a stupid question, but as I indicated, while I was at work, windows updated (I have windows 10) rebooted the computer, I know a long shot, but could an update mess something up? I know probably grasping at straws.

Drive specs

Toshiba DT01ACA199
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Apyu9IbSsi55k3NvYbpdcudBDePe

Segate ST300DM001
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Apyu9IbSsi55k3RRdEvnKkKml-EX

Seagate's ST3000DM001 model was the subject of a recent class action. It would not have failed as a result of any OS update. It's just an unreliable model, as BackBlaze's HDD reliability statistics have demonstrated.

What makes these failures a much more bitter pill to swallow is that third party tools such as CrystalDiskInfo and HD Sentinel would probably have alerted you to bad sectors and forewarned you about imminent failure. Seagate's SeaTools, OTOH, would probably have given the drive a passing grade, as long as the number of bad sectors was less than the threshold (approx. 2000).

jsvez2010

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Seagate's ST3000DM001 model was the subject of a recent class action. It would not have failed as a result of any OS update. It's just an unreliable model, as BackBlaze's HDD reliability statistics have demonstrated.

What makes these failures a much more bitter pill to swallow is that third party tools such as CrystalDiskInfo and HD Sentinel would probably have alerted you to bad sectors and forewarned you about imminent failure. Seagate's SeaTools, OTOH, would probably have given the drive a passing grade, as long as the number of bad sectors was less than the threshold (approx. 2000).

Probably no way to run like chkdisk o the drive or anything now?