[SOLVED] sudden loss of performance

May 23, 2019
i have been playing allot of games recently and bought myself a new rtx 2060, a z370-a Pro, and a new I7 8700K and it has been working fine untill like last week. i just started my pc one day and noticed that as i was playing dying light my fps was only 100 on average when it used to be around 144 capped. i was hearing loud noises on startup from that day on so i naturally thought that my sshd had broke or something. so i ordered a new samsung 860 evo but the sound was still there. i later noticed that it was a fan making sound from underneath the harddrive so i might think that the problems might be a cooling problem now. any ideas?

Edit: i have allso just noticed that in the task manager my GPU would only go to about 20% even tho it is definitely using more than that since i get about 80-100 fps in forza horison 4 with high graphics settings

Last edited:
Solution
Soo, first thing you should do is, put the PSU into trash can. You got a rig, which costs around 1K€ and you got quite bad, cheap-ish PSU.
The recommended PSU for RTX 2060 is a 500W one. I think your current PSU is possibly dying and is not able to deliver required power to the GPU.
My personal recommendation, a Seasonic Focus Plus series. It's a good PSU, and you can be sure, it'll deliver enough power for your components and won't risk frying them.

One more question about that fan, where was it connected? To the Mobo or fan hub? I suspect the PSU could fried your fan.

trandaa

Reputable
Feb 21, 2019
Is that just a case fan?
Can you see why the fan is doing that noise?
Has you tried to unplug particular fan?
Temps looks good so far. One case fan shouldn't be a reason of such performance drop

May 23, 2019
Is that just a case fan?
Can you see why the fan is doing that noise?
Has you tried to unplug particular fan?
Temps looks good so far. One case fan shouldn't be a reason of such performance drop
yea its just a case fan but its only making sounds att startupp so im not conserned about that as much as the performance.

i did the bench marking test in forza horison 4 now and i had about 100 fps att max and 80 lowest but i remember having attleast 144 before i started hearing the noise. that was when everything started to go downhill

Last edited:

trandaa

Reputable
Feb 21, 2019
Where is the fan located? Try to disconnect the particular fan, does the noise disappear? What is the performance after disconnecting the fan?
And what is your PSU?
Haha, I wish I could have such FPS on FH4

May 23, 2019
yea disconnecting that fan removes the sound but the performance problem is still there so i think i might just send my graphics card back and get a new one

ps: sorry for late response

trandaa

Reputable
Feb 21, 2019
Soo, first thing you should do is, put the PSU into trash can. You got a rig, which costs around 1K€ and you got quite bad, cheap-ish PSU.
The recommended PSU for RTX 2060 is a 500W one. I think your current PSU is possibly dying and is not able to deliver required power to the GPU.
My personal recommendation, a Seasonic Focus Plus series. It's a good PSU, and you can be sure, it'll deliver enough power for your components and won't risk frying them.

One more question about that fan, where was it connected? To the Mobo or fan hub? I suspect the PSU could fried your fan.

Solution
May 23, 2019
thx for the tip. ill try and get a new PSU and maybe a whole new case with fans since i bought the pc second hand and then uppgraded it over time.
i didnt really think that i needed a new psu since the one i had wasent breaking on me and since its my first pc im not really that experienced in parts yet. but since the PSU is the only thing i havent uppgraded then i guess its time now then xd

the fan was connected to the fan hub on the back of the case but since its only making sounds the first like 20 sec on startup unless you like punch it then it just disappears and i just cleaned all the fans in the case i think that as you said it might be fried.

thx for the help i really appreciate

trandaa

Reputable
Feb 21, 2019
Yeah, no problem.
Or you can replace just the fan. I think it's the NZXT FN V2 120mm.
Yeah, but now you know, that a high quality PSU with high quality parts it's mandatory (if you don't wanna fry them).
Well, everyone was once a newbie with almost no experience.
Hmm, usually in first few sec after startup the fans run at full speed. It could mean the bearing is failing. You can just replace the fan if you like the case, if not, feel free to buy a new case.
Cheers