[SOLVED] Sudden Loss of Power - Random.. Help?

myxin

Commendable
Apr 17, 2018
Good morning all,

I've finally gotten back into the PC world after not having a PC for about 8 years. I built my system about a month ago and have been having a very frustrating issue since.

Symptoms: Random, total loss of power and immediately restarting.

Description: These restarts happen seemingly randomly, most times while idle (overnight). I have NOT been able to forcibly reproduce the restart by stressing the computer with any of the common stress tests. My system is not OC'd in any way except enabling the DOCP profile for the ram to bring it up to spec.

Steps I've taken, things I've observed:

-Updated every driver to the latest versions: Chipset, audio, wifi, gpu, storage controllers, windows updates
-I've stressed the system with memtest, realbench, prime95 and furmark with NO reboots or errors during any of these processes.
-Logged my psu voltages, all fall within range as far as I can tell, average 4.9, 11.9, and 3.35.
-System is connected to an UPS, so not a bad outlet issue or overloaded circuit.
-Unplugged and replugged all of my power connectors to the mobo
-Checked seating on gpu and ram
-Disabled automatic restarts to catch BSOD, none show
-No memory dumps found
-System event viewer shows a kernel-power 41 error every time
-System event viewer has several instances of WHEA-Logger Event 19 Corrected Hardware Error NOT coinciding with loss of power events:

A corrected hardware error has occurred. Reported by component: Processor Core Error Source: Unknown Error Source Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error Processor APIC ID: 8

and

A corrected hardware error has occurred. Reported by component: Processor Core Error Source: Machine Check Exception Error Type: No Error Processor APIC ID: 0

I'm simply lost at this point and am unsure what could be causing this.

Solution
I think a psu problem might be more in the nature of delivering inconsistent power.
You seem to have covered most bases.
If you want to check out the psu, you could take the pc to a local shop to test.
Or, buy a top psu from a place with a good return policy. Seasonic focus 550 or 650w.
If that fixes things, then good.
If not, return the unit and expect to pay a 15% restocking charge.
Is there a motherboard bios update that might address your issue?

Past that, my guess would be the power supply.
See if you can't test with a known good psu.

I don't know that 500w may be insufficient.
Not all 500w power supplies deliver advertised power.

myxin

Commendable
Apr 17, 2018
Is there a motherboard bios update that might address your issue?

Past that, my guess would be the power supply.
See if you can't test with a known good psu.

I don't know that 500w may be insufficient.
Not all 500w power supplies deliver advertised power.

I'm on the latest BIOS and still ran into the issue. I do regret getting only a 500w power supply, though pcpartpicker estimates my usage below 400. Thought that would be ample headroom. I do not have any other psu's to test, unfortunately. I did log my voltages for a while and all were within spec. If it was under a heavy load and happened then I would definitely be weary of my 500w supply. However, it happens with my gpu and cpu @ 1% load. Just boggles my mind.

I think a psu problem might be more in the nature of delivering inconsistent power.
You seem to have covered most bases.
If you want to check out the psu, you could take the pc to a local shop to test.
Or, buy a top psu from a place with a good return policy. Seasonic focus 550 or 650w.
If that fixes things, then good.
If not, return the unit and expect to pay a 15% restocking charge.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS