sudden loss of windows firewall

I've been running windows firewall with no problems. Suddenly it turned
itself off and I cannot manually turn it back on...I get an error message
saying that windows cannot start ICS (internet sharing connection services).

Why? I need the firewall and this is a real, registered version of Win XP.

Right-click My Computer
Click Manage
Click the + next to Services and Applications
Click Services
Scroll down and double-click Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
Change the Startup type to Automatic
Click the [Start] button
Click [OK]

These services must also be started for Windows Firewall to work:
Event Log
Network Connections
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Security Center
Windows Management Instrumentation

Follow the same procedure above if you need to start these.
Shutdown and Restart the PC.

Austin M. Horst

Thanks for your detailed reply. I tried those procedures...most are already
on automatic except

Network Connections Error #126 ..I attempted to change it, and it seems to
be okay
BUT
Windows Firewall is still giving me Error #1068 (the dependency service or
group failed to start)

When I double clicked and the box-menu popped up, I changed the settings to
automatic and where it asked about recovery I changed it from "take no
action" to restart service.

But...still no firewall???

"Austin M. Horst" wrote:

> Right-click My Computer
> Click Manage
> Click the + next to Services and Applications
> Click Services
> Scroll down and double-click Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
> Change the Startup type to Automatic
> Click the [Start] button
> Click [OK]
>
> These services must also be started for Windows Firewall to work:
> Event Log
> Network Connections
> Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
> Security Center
> Windows Management Instrumentation
>
> Follow the same procedure above if you need to start these.
> Shutdown and Restart the PC.
>

> Austin M. Horst

Check the Status of "Network Connections" again.
What was exact message of Error #126?

Right-click My Computer
Click Manage
Click the + next to Services and Applications
Click Services
Scroll down and double-click Network Connections
What does the "Service status" show? Stopped or Started?

Also check the "DCOM Server Process Launcher" service.

Austin M. Horst

the netsh command in SP2 can rebuild your Winsock. Open the command prompt and type: netsh winsock reset , then press ENTER.

--

Mark L. Ferguson
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"Mystika" <Mystika@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:94587EF6-78D3-4EA5-9F2B-EB396E49F36F@microsoft.com...
> I've been running windows firewall with no problems. Suddenly it turned
> itself off and I cannot manually turn it back on...I get an error message
> saying that windows cannot start ICS (internet sharing connection services).
>
> Why? I need the firewall and this is a real, registered version of Win XP.

When I did that, I got this message:
The application failed to start because MPRAPI.dll was not found.
Re-installing the application may fix the problem.

(I had been running msn spyware for about 10 days when the firewall died)

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> the netsh command in SP2 can rebuild your Winsock. Open the command prompt and type: netsh winsock reset , then press ENTER.
>
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson
> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> ..
> "Mystika" <Mystika@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:94587EF6-78D3-4EA5-9F2B-EB396E49F36F@microsoft.com...
> > I've been running windows firewall with no problems. Suddenly it turned
> > itself off and I cannot manually turn it back on...I get an error message
> > saying that windows cannot start ICS (internet sharing connection services).
> >
> > Why? I need the firewall and this is a real, registered version of Win XP.

Re: Network Connections: it was stopped, when I tried to start it I again got
the error message #126 (specified module could not be found)

DCOM is started, automatic

"Austin M. Horst" wrote:

> Check the Status of "Network Connections" again.
> What was exact message of Error #126?
>
> Right-click My Computer
> Click Manage
> Click the + next to Services and Applications
> Click Services
> Scroll down and double-click Network Connections
> What does the "Service status" show? Stopped or Started?
>
> Also check the "DCOM Server Process Launcher" service.
>

> Austin M. Horst

Looks like you many more problems than just the Firewall.
We'll take this one step at a time until it's fixed.
The Firewall will not be able to be started until the "Network Connections" service problem is taken care of.

MPRAPI.DLL - Windows NT Multiple Provider Router Administration DLL
Any idea how this was deleted? Install new software lately? Virus? Malware?

Copy the MPRAPI.DLL file from your Windows CD to the "Windows\System32" folder on your computer.
If you cannot find it, download it from http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?mprapi
Then register the DLL:
Click Start | Run
regsvr32 MPRAPI.DLL
Click [OK]

Run Mark L. Ferguson's fix: netsh winsock reset

Now, try starting the Network Connections service.
If it started successfully, start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing service.

Austin M. Horst

I will start the process you have described now (thanks). The ONLY new
software installed is MSN AntiSpyware.

"Austin M. Horst" wrote:

> Looks like you many more problems than just the Firewall.
> We'll take this one step at a time until it's fixed.
> The Firewall will not be able to be started until the "Network Connections" service problem is taken care of.
>
> MPRAPI.DLL - Windows NT Multiple Provider Router Administration DLL
> Any idea how this was deleted? Install new software lately? Virus? Malware?
>
> Copy the MPRAPI.DLL file from your Windows CD to the "Windows\System32" folder on your computer.
> If you cannot find it, download it from http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?mprapi
> Then register the DLL:
> Click Start | Run
> regsvr32 MPRAPI.DLL
> Click [OK]
>
> Run Mark L. Ferguson's fix: netsh winsock reset
>
> Now, try starting the Network Connections service.
> If it started successfully, start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing service.
>

> Austin M. Horst

I went to the link to download the file, downloaded it, unzipped it, and it
now shows as being within system 32. BUT when I tried to register it, I got

LoadLibrary("MPRAPI.DLL") failed - The specifided module could not be found.

As I say, I checked and the file IS there, in a folder called mprapi.

"Austin M. Horst" wrote:

> Looks like you many more problems than just the Firewall.
> We'll take this one step at a time until it's fixed.
> The Firewall will not be able to be started until the "Network Connections" service problem is taken care of.
>
> MPRAPI.DLL - Windows NT Multiple Provider Router Administration DLL
> Any idea how this was deleted? Install new software lately? Virus? Malware?
>
> Copy the MPRAPI.DLL file from your Windows CD to the "Windows\System32" folder on your computer.
> If you cannot find it, download it from http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?mprapi
> Then register the DLL:
> Click Start | Run
> regsvr32 MPRAPI.DLL
> Click [OK]
>
> Run Mark L. Ferguson's fix: netsh winsock reset
>
> Now, try starting the Network Connections service.
> If it started successfully, start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing service.
>

> Austin M. Horst

Thinking that the file might need to be just in system32 and not in its own
folder, I copied it. Now the error message that I get says "MPRAPI.DLL was
loaded, but the DllResitersServer entry point was not found. MPRAPI.DLL does
not appear to be a .DLL or OCX file.

"Austin M. Horst" wrote:

> Looks like you many more problems than just the Firewall.
> We'll take this one step at a time until it's fixed.
> The Firewall will not be able to be started until the "Network Connections" service problem is taken care of.
>
> MPRAPI.DLL - Windows NT Multiple Provider Router Administration DLL
> Any idea how this was deleted? Install new software lately? Virus? Malware?
>
> Copy the MPRAPI.DLL file from your Windows CD to the "Windows\System32" folder on your computer.
> If you cannot find it, download it from http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?mprapi
> Then register the DLL:
> Click Start | Run
> regsvr32 MPRAPI.DLL
> Click [OK]
>
> Run Mark L. Ferguson's fix: netsh winsock reset
>
> Now, try starting the Network Connections service.
> If it started successfully, start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing service.
>

> Austin M. Horst

After that, I imported another copy of the file by copying it from my other
computer. I got the same message as the last time (does not appear to be a
..dll or .ocx file.)

"Austin M. Horst" wrote:

> Looks like you many more problems than just the Firewall.
> We'll take this one step at a time until it's fixed.
> The Firewall will not be able to be started until the "Network Connections" service problem is taken care of.
>
> MPRAPI.DLL - Windows NT Multiple Provider Router Administration DLL
> Any idea how this was deleted? Install new software lately? Virus? Malware?
>
> Copy the MPRAPI.DLL file from your Windows CD to the "Windows\System32" folder on your computer.
> If you cannot find it, download it from http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?mprapi
> Then register the DLL:
> Click Start | Run
> regsvr32 MPRAPI.DLL
> Click [OK]
>
> Run Mark L. Ferguson's fix: netsh winsock reset
>
> Now, try starting the Network Connections service.
> If it started successfully, start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing service.
>

> Austin M. Horst

Try to unregister the dll and then register it.
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regsvr32.mspx
In this procedure; we'll copy the backup MPRAPI.DLL file from C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386

From the Command Prompt (cmd.exe), type:
regsvr32 /u C:\Windows\System32\MPRAPI.DLL
Press [Enter] and then type:
del C:\Windows\System32\MPRAPI.DLL
Press [Enter] and then type:
copy C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\MPRAPI.DLL C:\Windows\System32
Press [Enter] and then type:
regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\MPRAPI.DLL
Press [Enter]

There are so many viruses and trojans that can disable the firewall in Windows XP, which is what I suspect here.

Austin M. Horst

I tried what you suggested BUT
a)at the first line the message I got was that regsvr32 /u is not a
recognized file or command
b)at the second line (the delete) the message I got was ACCESS DENIED

yes: I am logged on as administrator.

1)Is there a way to simply re download all the service pack files and have
them overwrite the ones that are duplicates and fill in the ones that are
needed?
2)The programs I am using against trojans, malware etc are AVG free;
Ad-Aware, SpytBot, and Microsoft AntiSpyware. Everything was fine until I
started using msn AntiSpyware.
"Austin M. Horst" wrote:

> Try to unregister the dll and then register it.
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regsvr32.mspx
> In this procedure; we'll copy the backup MPRAPI.DLL file from C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
>
> From the Command Prompt (cmd.exe), type:
> regsvr32 /u C:\Windows\System32\MPRAPI.DLL
> Press [Enter] and then type:
> del C:\Windows\System32\MPRAPI.DLL
> Press [Enter] and then type:
> copy C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\MPRAPI.DLL C:\Windows\System32
> Press [Enter] and then type:
> regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\MPRAPI.DLL
> Press [Enter]
>
> There are so many viruses and trojans that can disable the firewall in Windows XP, which is what I suspect here.
>

> Austin M. Horst

Regsvr32.exe is missing too... there's no telling how many files and programs were deleted from your PC.
We could spend weeks restoring files one-by-one, only to find that something else has also been deleted or disabled.
Viruses such as W32.Petch will delete key system files to open your system up and keep you from being able to secure it again.
It would be best to just format and reinstall Windows XP. Backup your important files first.

Austin M. Horst