Sudden Low FPS, changing settings from ULTRA to LOW makes no difference

Apr 16, 2018
Hi there,

Previously, I've received approximately 100fps with all settings on ULTRA while playing high demand games such as PUBG. Recently however, I've begun to receive around 40fps with all settings on ULTRA. What is strange about this though, is that when i turn the settings down to LOW, I see no change in FPS. I receive the same issue in a games like Radical Heights. I have a GTX 1060 6GB which is fairly new (about 3-4 months old). When playing games like Rainbow Six Siege I get 100fps with all settings on ULTRA (strange because this game is quite high demand also). When playing fortnite I get about 200 with all settings on ULTRA.

I would really like a fix to this as it frustrates the hell out of me!

ps. My GPU usage is usually 100% whilst my CPU usage is around 50% whilst playing games like fortnite, R6, etc. (not sure if this will help).

PLEASE HELP ME!

Thanks,
Jack

SPECS:

- 16b RAM
- GTX 1060 6GB
- Quad core processor 3.4ghz

Solution
That's seems to be a problem. Try killing all the processes that uses too much resources(usage).
I wonder if you have ever done a clean installation of windows after facing this issue.

sourodip

Distinguished
Well, it seems like the CPU is holding back your GPU's performance. In other words, your CPU is bottlenecking the GPU.
Can you mention the details of the processor? Is the usage same while playing at ULTRA and LOW settings?

Apr 16, 2018

intel core i7-4770 @3.4ghz

and yes the usage is the same whilst playing on low and ultra settings

thinking it might be something to do with the rendering of high demand parts of games or something idk, ive just noticed that when looking at Tilted Towers in fortnite, I go from 250 fps to about 90, hmmm....

sourodip

Distinguished
Its definitely not the CPU that is causing the problem. Have you got any mods running? Did you do a clean installation of the existing driver? What are the temps while running at Ultra? Are you using an aftermarket cooler?

sourodip

Distinguished
Dear friend, use driver cleaner and uninstall the gpu drivers completely. Reboot and install the latest one.
There are plenty of apps available for checking the temps.
You monitoring real temp, you can use real temp: http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/ and for monitoring GPU/CPU usage, voltages etc. you can use HWinfo https://www.hwinfo.com/

Try monitoring the temps whilst your PC is under heavy stress i.e.while you are running the game on Ultra settings.
Also note down the CPU/GPU usage, if possible.

sourodip

Distinguished
The highest attained temperature is 67C, which is within the safe range, and is therefore normal under heavy stress. TJ max temperature is way down the throttle temperature and you're good.
I am not sure whether the game you mentioned is quite intensive or not. I would recommend stress testing with other CPU intensive games like GTA V, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Prey etc. Stress testing with Prime95 would be nice. What about the GPU usage whilst playing the demanding games on ultra?
Have you done a clean installation of the GPU drivers?
Among many factors, BIOS update is a variable that affects Core temperature. So, a BIOS update would yield more accurate results.

sourodip

Distinguished
Use Driver sweeper to uninstall the GPU drivers and then download the latest and install the same.
To update the BIOS, just download the latest for your motherboard from the vendor's website and update using a Flash drive.