Sudden Marvell SATA Controller problem reported

twiglet015

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
Hi all,
For some reason the Windows Defender health report is finding an error with the Marvell 91xx SATA 6G Controller driver.
I've not noticed any difference in performance and have tried downloading the driver from my motherboard manufacturers website but am still getting the error.
It is more of a curiosity and a nuisance more than anything (I don't like error messages!). Anyone got any idea how I could find more information about what's going on?

Solution
Marvel controller are 2 grey color sata ports (white and black are Intel SATA ports).
If there's any drive connected to grey ports, then move it to a different port.
After that verify boot sequence in BIOS, adjust it if necessary.
Verify your system can boot with no drives connected to grey ports. After that go into BIOS and disable Marvel sata controller.

4852.jpg

twiglet015

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014

Hi,
Mobo is a Z68X-UD3H-B3. I'm not 100% sure if there are drives connected to that particular one, it doesn't say in device manager. I was tempted to disable it but realized my boot drive might be plugged into it. How would I find out, I'd be happy to disable it if that were the case.

In the health centre it just says 'marvell 91xx sata 6g controller has a driver problem' but can't give me more info. In device manager it says
'This device cannot start. (Code 10)

An I/O adapter hardware error has occurred.'

Marvel controller are 2 grey color sata ports (white and black are Intel SATA ports).
If there's any drive connected to grey ports, then move it to a different port.
After that verify boot sequence in BIOS, adjust it if necessary.
Verify your system can boot with no drives connected to grey ports. After that go into BIOS and disable Marvel sata controller.

4852.jpg

Solution

twiglet015

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014

Great, thanks for the tip. I'll give it a go at the weekend.

twiglet015

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014

That worked a treat thanks! I was tearing my hair out for a bit though. I couldn't see a grey SATA ports at all. I had to look on the specs page for the motherboard and yes, they were there. Marvell 88SE9172 chip: 2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (GSATA3_5, GSATA3_6). Still couldn't find them anywhere.
After about half an hour of searching I found them hiding behind my graphics card. :chaudar:
They had nothing plugged in so like you said, I just disabled them in device manager.
It's a 2011 build is this machine, I hope that's not a sign of it starting to give up the ghost.

Thanks again!