[SOLVED] Sudden Overheating.

Jan 3, 2020
So out of nowhere when I try to run any sort of game no matter how demanding or not, within a minute or so my GPU climbs to 100 degrees the fans kick into full gear and the connection to my display is lost. I then have to manually turn off and reset my system. I am running windows 10. I have a AMD Radeon R9 200 series GPU

My CPU is Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-5930k CPU @ 3.50GHz I did not make any changes to my setup prior to this. I tried updating my drivers to the most recent version and that did nothing. For a monitor I am currently using msi Optix AG32C. I have also tried with other monitors and the issue has persisted. I took apart everything and cleaned it as well still no change. Im sorry if this isn't enough information to help. Im not very technically minded. I'll try and provide any additional information if it helps.

Solution
Jan 3, 2020
You put your PC together yourself?
The gray material you put on the cpu before attaching the cooler? That's thermal paste.

Fairly old, and enough time for the paste beneath the cooler to dry up, effectively killing it's ability to transfer heat.
Do you have any non-conductive thermal paste on hand?
As I said im not super technical so I had it built for me Falcon Northwest. And no I don't. I've never even heard of thermal paste before. But I suppose thats probably the issue then haha.

Jan 3, 2020
You put your PC together yourself?
The gray material you put on the cpu before attaching the cooler? That's thermal paste.

Fairly old, and enough time for the paste beneath the cooler to dry up, effectively killing it's ability to transfer heat.
Do you have any non-conductive thermal paste on hand?
Is replacing it something easy enough for a novice to manage do you think? I can take out the basics components of my pc but thats about as far as Ive dared to go.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Reactions: Shady Sherlock
Solution
Jan 3, 2020
Gotcha.

You've had it that long and it hasn't given you any problems before... now it's suddenly burning up even when you're not doing anything.
Pretty sure the thermal paste has dried up.

Are you comfortable with taking the card apart yourself, or perhaps have a PC shop nearby that can do the application for you?
Or maybe it's time to just replace the gpu?

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/optimizing-graphics-cooling,4838-2.html

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRXy5WyZoMc
Thanks you've been super helpful! Ill take a look and see if I can do it myself but worst case scenario Ill just take it in if I cant manage. Thanks!

Jan 3, 2020
Sure thing.
Took it apart to replace the thermal paste (It seemed simple enough) And out of curiosity is it supposed to look like this? This is before ive taken of the paste.
81180611_591629891405490_3133479221423243264_n.jpg
78977041_2633686240082478_7147001661318234112_n.jpg