[SOLVED] Sudden overnight decrease in performance

Sep 20, 2019
I upgraded from a ryzen 5 2600 to a ryzen 7 3800x a few days ago and everything was going well until last night when I turned off my pc windows updated. Now my fps is substantially lower in game (Apex legends being the game I play).

I have tried preforming a system restore, as well as updating my gpu drivers, I have also tried restarting, resetting all the settings in bios, and disabling 'game mode'. I had also updated the Bios to the most recent drivers before upgrading the cpu.

The day I upgraded the cpu I did a benchmark using Passmark's performance test running the same benchmark now yields a distinctly lower cpu score by roughly 15-20%(was 24-25k is now 20-22k, although in game fps is closer to 60% lower (40 to 70 instead of 140+ on my 1440p 144hz monitor). All the other metrics measured by Passmark are the same as when I benchmarked the pc right after upgrading the cpu.

I have a Msi b450 gaming plus and an Rtx 2070.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Solution
D
like others mentioned, you can do a clean install or just download and install latest version over the top as a Feature Update install. I would try that.

This link below will download the upgrade tool. It will upgrade and update you completely. if that does't work I would do a Clean install as outlined in that article in the link

Microsoft Windows Media Creation Tool -- Update now

Lushern1309

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
Hi, Maybe try uninstalling the actual recent windows updates, had the same issue on my pc with a performance drop after the updates, i uninstalled them and all was ok. also possible you need a bios update

Sep 20, 2019
Hi, Maybe try uninstalling the actual recent windows updates, had the same issue on my pc with a performance drop after the updates, i uninstalled them and all was ok. also possible you need a bios update
I'm pretty sure they got uninstalled when I did the image restore, I did a check for updates and let it reinstall them but I don't think anything changed while they weren't installed. I tried uninstalling them now and it keeps reinstalling them as I remove them (since it needs to restart), pausing updates makes it stop reinstalling them but now one of them says it cant be successfully uninstalled.

Lushern1309

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
I'm pretty sure they got uninstalled when I did the image restore, I did a check for updates and let it reinstall them but I don't think anything changed while they weren't installed. I tried uninstalling them now and it keeps reinstalling them as I remove them (since it needs to restart), pausing updates makes it stop reinstalling them but now one of them says it cant be successfully uninstalled.
Try disabling windows update service before uninstalling again, not sure if that still works with the later win 10 builds tho

D

Deleted member 14196

like others mentioned, you can do a clean install or just download and install latest version over the top as a Feature Update install. I would try that.

This link below will download the upgrade tool. It will upgrade and update you completely. if that does't work I would do a Clean install as outlined in that article in the link

Microsoft Windows Media Creation Tool -- Update now

Reactions: DMAN999
Solution

TRENDING THREADS