Question Sudden packet loss issue? ISP issue or installation issue?

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
Hello everyone. Today, from nowhere i started to notice the internet was behaving kinda of strange. I got fiber more than a month ago. Since i got it, tests were pretty fine. Had 0% loss in a 10 min test and maybe 2 or 3 packets lost during the 10 mins test. Today i noticed that after many 10 min tests some had 0% packet loss and when i start it again right away it had 20-50% packet loss. In other words each time i started a new test it went incredibly fine or incredibly bad. So i was wondering if some how my installation got messed of or it might be a temporary ISP problem and i should wait before call the install guy. I also did tracert and after jump 2 i get all timed out. Did several pings too google with -n100 and in the firts one i got l;ike 20% packet loss but after the first one all the one si did after that has 0%, still my other test are doing what explained above.

You can't really trust sites like packetlosttest because it could be their network or the connection between your ISP and their ISP that has issues.

You need to do more simple test....the ISP tech you talk to is going to be lucky to understand how a normal ping command works. Many of these people just read their script and are not much better than a AI.

So first thing you do is a tracert 8.8.8.8. You will likely see nothing interesting, the goal is to get the IP addresses of the routers in the path.

Next you want to open a number of cmd windows and run constant ping to hop 1 (your router) hop 2 (generally the first ISP router) and 8.8.8.8

If you see loss in hop1 it is either your pc or your router. It is extremely common if you are using wifi.
If hop 1 is good but hop 2 has issues it is the connection to your house. This is very rare when you have fiber connections.

If you see nothing in hop 1 or hop 2 and still have loss to 8.8.8.8 the problem is farther into the network. You could continue testing to say hop 3,4 etc until you find the router that has a issue but this is far into the ISP network or in another ISP network so it is almost impossible to get fixed.

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
You can't really trust sites like packetlosttest because it could be their network or the connection between your ISP and their ISP that has issues.

You need to do more simple test....the ISP tech you talk to is going to be lucky to understand how a normal ping command works. Many of these people just read their script and are not much better than a AI.

So first thing you do is a tracert 8.8.8.8. You will likely see nothing interesting, the goal is to get the IP addresses of the routers in the path.

Next you want to open a number of cmd windows and run constant ping to hop 1 (your router) hop 2 (generally the first ISP router) and 8.8.8.8

If you see loss in hop1 it is either your pc or your router. It is extremely common if you are using wifi.
If hop 1 is good but hop 2 has issues it is the connection to your house. This is very rare when you have fiber connections.

If you see nothing in hop 1 or hop 2 and still have loss to 8.8.8.8 the problem is farther into the network. You could continue testing to say hop 3,4 etc until you find the router that has a issue but this is far into the ISP network or in another ISP network so it is almost impossible to get fixed.
Well i mentioned my tracert results and CMD tests on the main post. By the way, first 2 hops seem fine. About the tests, that is why i use different tests from different sources including local software tools. This dint happened some days i go, i did chage the modem some days ago though. Wi-Fi is disabled and i only connect through ethernet.

Anyway like @COLGeek suggested , i did some tests today too after some time. On the morning all tests were perfect 0 packet loss and low ping. Now i did another one and the packet loss is back. Can i safely assume is not an installation issue or maybe a rourter/modem issue? I did not know Fiber could be affected by congestion? Any other idea?

Last edited:
You need to find the source of the packet loss. If you just see the loss say to google or some other location like packlosstest the ISP will just claim it is the remote server or the ISP of that server. Unless you can prove different they will just say there is no problem in their network.

You need to leave 3 constant ping run. When the one to 8.8.8.8 shows loss then check the other ones. If they still show no loss then it gets more complex. You could try to ping other hop numbers in the trace but the farther you get away from your house the more unlikely you are going to get it fixed. It very well could be the interconnection between your ISP and another ISP or some issue with a problem router in the ISP network.

In most cases it is going to be in hop 1 or hop 2 which you can get fixed. Generally problems past there since they affect many users the ISP will detect and fix, although some ISP are idiots.

TRENDING THREADS