Question Sudden PC Issue (Won't turn on)

Jun 30, 2021
Okay,
So first of all i need to explain what happened.

I was using my PC just doing random things like watching youtube etc.
I decided that i wanted to change my USB DAC to a different one and decided to turn off my PC, go take a shower and then plug in the other DAC.
I press the PC power button, i hear that little click from the PSU that always happen when i turn on/off the PC and then... nothing.
The PC suddenly won't turn on and just 15 minutes ago prior to shutting it down everything was working perfectly fine as it had been ever since i built it
back in 2019.
To summarize the problems and what i have tried so far:

Shut down PC > 15 mins later press power button > Won't turn on
Motherboard lights on the ROG logo are on but the GPU lights that used to be on after shutdown are now OFF
Unplug and re-plug the ATX cable and double check every other cable > No change
Change power outlet > No change
Change power cord > No change
Check power button on the case > No change

I am absolutely baffled and can't wrap my head around this.
Did the motherboard or PSU cease to function just like that? Without ANY prior warnings or hints that something was wrong?

If anyone can provide some assistance it would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

-FunkFejs

Jun 30, 2021
Yes,
Intel Core i7 9700KF
RTX 2080S
G.skill Ripjaws 16gb 3200
Asus z390f MB
1 samsung nvme drive
2 samsung 2.5 ssd's
Be quiet Dark power pro 11 PSU 850W
noctua nh-u14s cpu cooler

Also, as a last ditch effort i swapped the CMOS battery and also tried to boot with only one RAM stick at a time but it did not make any difference.
Still won't turn on.
I just don't know how to diagnose it.

Yes,
Intel Core i7 9700KF
RTX 2080S
G.skill Ripjaws 16gb 3200
Asus z390f MB
1 samsung nvme drive
2 samsung 2.5 ssd's
Be quiet Dark power pro 11 PSU 850W
noctua nh-u14s cpu cooler

Also, as a last ditch effort i swapped the CMOS battery and also tried to boot with only one RAM stick at a time but it did not make any difference.
Still won't turn on.
I just don't know how to diagnose it.
What do the 4 small Q-LED lights (next to the 24pin power connector) show when you try to boot?

image.png.cce91818539081226ee0c5abbecf7e1a.png

Jun 30, 2021
They don't light up at all.
I just hear the little click from the PSU when i press the power button and that's that.
Could it mean that the MB is the culprit since none of the LED's light up?

They don't light up at all.
I just hear the little click from the PSU when i press the power button and that's that.
Could it mean that the MB is the culprit since none of the LED's light up?
It sounds like there could be a short somewhere in your system. Is the USB DAC plugged into the back I/O ports of your motherboard or the external USB ports of the PC case? Something simple you could try is to unplug the external front USB ports from your motherboard to see if that makes any difference.

Jun 30, 2021
Yes the DAC was plugged in the back of the MB, but i disconnected every single peripheral after this problem showed up.
I did what you suggested and also disconnected the internal USB cables but you guessed it, nothing!
Do you think i shorted the MB when i plugged the DAC in? If so, how would i know? And IF that is the problem, how on earth would i fix it?

Yes the DAC was plugged in the back of the MB, but i disconnected every single peripheral after this problem showed up.
I did what you suggested and also disconnected the internal USB cables but you guessed it, nothing!
Do you think i shorted the MB when i plugged the DAC in? If so, how would i know? And IF that is the problem, how on earth would i fix it?
It is not very likely the DAC damaged your motherboard but sometimes a damaged USB socket can cause a short in the computer. Another simple thing you could try is booting with the video card removed, you will not get any video output but you can see if the Q-LED's on your motherboard light up.

Jul 2, 2021
Same thing is happening to me rn, after a lot of searching I noticed every post about this issue has an Asus motherboard in it.. im not 100% sure if its the mobo tho, maybe just some kind of coincidence.. who knows

Jun 30, 2021
I did try to boot without the GPU but it made no difference...
Could it be an ASUS MB issue? How would one diagnose a MB if the QLED's aren't working in the first place?
Because the ONLY light on the entire MB with any function right now is the logo on the leftside near the IO but that is IT.

Jun 30, 2021
Same thing is happening to me rn, after a lot of searching I noticed every post about this issue has an Asus motherboard in it.. im not 100% sure if its the mobo tho, maybe just some kind of coincidence.. who knows
If you're having the same issue, can i ask how it happened for you? Did you simply turn off the PC like i did and then it gave up?