[SOLVED] Sudden PC shutdowns while under load, won't turn back on until PSU is toggled off/on ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 1, 2022
Hi,
For the past week my PC has been shutting down at random when running games without any BSOD, and will not turn back on until I flip the PSU off and back on. I've already ran benchmarks/stress tests with OCCT, Unigine Valley, and RealBench, without any crashes occuring, as well as checked my RAM with Windows Memory Diagnostic so I doubt theres any issue with CPU or RAM - although I could be wrong.

Event viewer only tells me that there was a Critical Event under Kernel-power (event 41)
EventData
BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress 0
PowerButtonTimestamp 0
BootAppStatus 0
Checkpoint 0
ConnectedStandbyInProgress false
SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 1
CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0
BugcheckInfoFromEFI false
CheckpointStatus 0
CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2 0
LongPowerButtonPressDetected false

Since running benchmarks for specific parts of my system didn't reveal anything, and turning my PC back on after a shutdown requires turning the PSU off and on again, I suspect the issue comes from that. I didn't run the Benchmarks for very long, however (10-20 minutes), so my assumption might be skewed. I would be grateful for any advice on the source of this recent issue.

Specs are:
Motherboard: ROG B450-F Strix
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G
RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB
GPU: ROG STRIX RX580 8GB
PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
PC is just over a year old if that info is relevant.

Solutions I've tried (with no effect):
Reseating RAM and GPU
Running CHKDSK and sfc /scannow
Changing power ports
Updating Chip set drivers, windows drivers. etc.
Disabling fast startup

JinxTheWorld

Commendable
Jan 10, 2021
I had a weird problem when i first got my PC. It was a custom build from IBUYPOWER website. It wasn't their fault. My PC would just randomly restart or shutdown while playing games, and sometimes immediately when trying to launch a game. Everywhere i looked, people just blamed a bad PSU. I kept looking just incase because i did numerous stress tests like you and wasn't having a problem.

After looking around i found out that it was something to do with my MoBo BIOS. I have a ASRock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 and it was on BIOS version 3.20. I found a random reddit post about how when a game tried installing shaders it can trigger a protection system in the BIOS. Well i figured why not and flashed to BIOS version 3.90. Since then i have never had the PC randomly restart or shutdown while playing games again. So either the BIOS version was simply crap or there was some truth in that reddit post lol. Either way, problem is now gone.

Worth a look if you feel confident in a BIOS update. If you do not feel confident i would try other routes first. Messing up a BIOS update can be rather risky lol.

Jan 1, 2022
Check if your hardware is overheating or overlocking.
Check if there is any dust on the RAM.
Check if the RAM and wires are connected correctly.
Check if the power connectors are connected for both GPU and motherboard correctly.

if it doesnt work try updating all your drivers and following instructions listed here

I've gone through the article and tried those, though the problem still persists.

After looking around i found out that it was something to do with my MoBo BIOS. I have a ASRock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 and it was on BIOS version 3.20. I found a random reddit post about how when a game tried installing shaders it can trigger a protection system in the BIOS. Well i figured why not and flashed to BIOS version 3.90. Since then i have never had the PC randomly restart or shutdown while playing games again. So either the BIOS version was simply crap or there was some truth in that reddit post lol. Either way, problem is now gone.

Worth a look if you feel confident in a BIOS update. If you do not feel confident i would try other routes first. Messing up a BIOS update can be rather risky lol.

I've already updated the BIOS before posting this thread, forgot to mention it though. Doesn't seem to have any effect

That's the PSU tripping some protection. Test with another PSU.

Is there a way for me to verify this? I don't have any spare components and I'd like to be as sure as I can before buying another PSU.

Jan 1, 2022
Quick update from the last post: I sent the PSU back to the suppliers to get it checked, and it turned out to be faulty. After getting a replacement PSU I've had no issues, so I'll consider this resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.