Sudden permanent drop in FPS (5760x1080)

Feb 9, 2019
Best answers
Long time reader, first time writer.

Built my dream rig about 4yrs ago, which had to include 3 monitors fed by dual Titan blacks in SLI.

Everything ran flawlessly up until a few weeks ago, where my FPS dropped from 60-70 to about 20 in full 5760x1080 res. I've also experienced the dreaded blue screen in 1920x1080.

I've cleaned and re pasted my corsair liquid chip coolant as well as my two gpu's as they we're running a lil hot lately... idle 30c to 90c full load.

Thinking it may have been a OS/driver issue, I've re-installed win on a clean ssd... all to no avail.

specs::
Intel i7 4790k
Corsair H100i cpu cooler
Maximus VII formula
32g corsair ddr3 ram
2x Nvidia Titan black 6g
Corsair AX 1200i psu
Corsair Force 3 ssd 167g (os dedicated)
Intel ssd 240g
2x Intel ssd 480g
Win 10 OS

So, I'm humbly reaching out to the great problem solving minds for their expertise on this, hoping for help in identifying this majorly disappointing issue.

Many thanks!

WIll

Prominent
Mar 13, 2018
Best answers
There isn't much to go on from just FPS drops.

Try:
  • Monitoring your GPU's Temperatures, Voltage and Core clock, see if anything fluctuates there, a large change in voltage could be overclocking instability, a change in clock could be because the card is throttling and you should try to aim for below 85 degrees on most GPU's before they start to throttle.
  • Monitor your CPU in the same regards, voltage clock and temp.
  • Make sure all your RAM is accounted for and is running at the correct clocks
Further troubleshooting:
  • Try with one GPU
  • Try the GPU's in another system
  • Check your SSD health
  • Check your motherboard for any issues indicated
Otherwise, I honestly have no idea. There has to be at least one piece of hardware at fault if you clean installed Windows. Finding that piece of hardware is easier said than done.
Try stressing each one independently and checking which produces an issue.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS