[SOLVED] Sudden problem with connecting to office VPN

Mar 24, 2020
I have been working from home for the past couple of weeks, and today I was randomly unable to connect to my office VPN. If I launch my 3rd party VPN privateinternetaccess, it lets me connect, but then I am unable to RDP to my work PC. Am I correct in thinking this is a DNS issue? I have tried Google's DNS server, as well as leaving it as automatic. Also tried ipconfig /flushdns, restarted router, rebooted PC, uninstalled/reinstalled WAN miniports, ipconfig /release /renew.

The only thing that I can think of otherwise is that my ethernet cable is very unstable right now, you need to nudge it into place to even get internet access. I have another one arriving soon.

This is on Windows 10

UPDATE: I have confirmed that it is not a problem with the cable. I also tried connecting while using a mobile hotspot and I was able to connect. I only can't connect when I use my home network.

I continue to get "A connection attempt failed because the connected part did not properly respond".

Last edited:
Solution
VPN is hard to get 2 vpn installed on the machine at the same time. The hooks they use to make it work tend to overlap each other. You may have to uninstall your previous vpn. I no longer load vpn into the pc itself after attempting to test a number of vpn providers. The managed to mess up everything and I could not get them to work or uninstalled. Had to reload windows so now I only run vpn on the router.

VPN in general is not affected by DNS. It might use it to look up the end point but after it is up all DNS flows through the vpn tunnel. Ethernet problems you would get a warning about cable unplugged and have no access including to your router.

Amazon does not think ethernet cables are important 30 day delivery...
VPN is hard to get 2 vpn installed on the machine at the same time. The hooks they use to make it work tend to overlap each other. You may have to uninstall your previous vpn. I no longer load vpn into the pc itself after attempting to test a number of vpn providers. The managed to mess up everything and I could not get them to work or uninstalled. Had to reload windows so now I only run vpn on the router.

VPN in general is not affected by DNS. It might use it to look up the end point but after it is up all DNS flows through the vpn tunnel. Ethernet problems you would get a warning about cable unplugged and have no access including to your router.

Amazon does not think ethernet cables are important 30 day delivery dates even though many people now work from home :)

Solution