Question Sudden problem with download speeds on laptop ?

Errend

Prominent
Apr 3, 2021
For about a week now, I've suddenly experienced massive slowdown with download speeds: typically, when I'm downloading something it will slow down to 100 KB/s, then slower, then drop altogether. It will periodically pop back up to a few hundred kilobytes per second for a few seconds, then drop again. If I leave for a few hours something small can be downloaded.

My internet connection is fairly fast, typically 250 MB/s download, 10MB/s upload. No other part of my internet usage seems affected, just the downloading. I've turned off my firewall and virus protection when downloading, it hasn't made a difference. I've run virus scans and nothing has been found. I got a new modem a few weeks ago, but this only started happening a week ago (and again, only downloads are affected).

Can anyone advise me what I should try to address the issue? I'm on Windows 10, an MSI Laptop, Wireless connection.

Here's some information about my laptop (not sure what's needed, let me know if more information required):

Laptop Make and Model - MSI GL63 8RC

Specs:
CPU - Intel Core i5 8300H @ 2.30GHz
Motherboard - Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. MS-16P6 (U3E1)
Memory / RAM - 8.00GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 1330MHz (19-19-19-43)
iGPU/Discrete GPU - Intel UHD Graphics 630/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
Hard Drive - 931GB Seagate ST1000LM049-2GH172 (SATA (SSD))
Optical Drive - None
Operating System (OS) - Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Monitor - Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Change the download location (server) and look if it fixes your issue.

If it does, the issue is with the server from where you attempt your download. It's most likely experiencing influx in traffic, including downloads, hence why it limits the speed or is unable to sustain downloads.

If it doesn't and you'll experience download slowdowns/interruptions regardless where you download from, contact your ISP and ask them what is going on.

Oh, you can test your connection with Internet speed test,
link: https://www.speedtest.net/

With it, you can switch around which server to connect to. E.g it's logical that closest server to you offers best results, while the server in another country makes your up and down speed (much) slower.

Errend

Prominent
Apr 3, 2021
Thanks for the reply. I'm not as knowledgeable as I'd like to be on computers, I'm not sure what you mean by "Change the download location (server)." Googling that phrase just gave me a description of how to change the download folder on my computer and I'm pretty sure that's not what you mean. Can you tell me how I can change the download location? Do you mean with a VPN? (sorry if this is obvious and I'm being obtuse)

Since this has been happening I've regularly been running Internet Speed Tests. My download speeds are typically between 150-250 MB/s. My upload speed periodically varies: it's supposed to be around 10 MB/s, which it it usually is, though sometimes it drops enormously, down to less than 1 MB/s. However, this seems to make no difference in on the issue I'm experiencing: 10 MB/s or <1 MB/s, it makes no difference on my downloading problems.

Errend

Prominent
Apr 3, 2021
So, I kinda stumbled onto the solution to the problem I'd been having. I have a roommate and I'd been asking him to unplug and re-plug the modem to see if it helped and he said he was doing it. However, I just did it myself and it completely solved the problem (I obviously should've done this earlier).

This brings me to my next question. Perhaps I'm being paranoid (but knowing him as I do) - is it possible for one person on a network to throttle the connection speeds of other devices on the network? In a way that restarting the modem would erase? If so, could someone find out that was happening?

(Sorry for being a doofus and not doing the restart myself sooner)

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for the reply. I'm not as knowledgeable as I'd like to be on computers, I'm not sure what you mean by "Change the download location (server)." Googling that phrase just gave me a description of how to change the download folder on my computer and I'm pretty sure that's not what you mean. Can you tell me how I can change the download location? Do you mean with a VPN? (sorry if this is obvious and I'm being obtuse)

Switching download server means that rather than downloading your stuff from e.g filehippo, you try downloading from dropbox.

Also, what exactly and from where, are you downloading, if it isn't a secret?

This brings me to my next question. Perhaps I'm being paranoid (but knowing him as I do) - is it possible for one person on a network to throttle the connection speeds of other devices on the network? In a way that restarting the modem would erase? If so, could someone find out that was happening?

I'm not that big of a network guru to tell exactly, but preferred device is a thing. Meaning that router is going to allocate more bandwidth to one device, compared to the another. And resetting the router cleared the bandwidth preference in the router.
Here's further reading: https://steemit.com/routersettings/...cation-on-a-device-connected-to-a-router-pldt

Though, do note that the guide there, is specific to the router the writer has. You, most likely, have different router and need to do different steps for bandwidth allocation. I'm using Cisco EPC3940ADL wi-fi router and i'm sure you have different router as well, whereby even i can't write you a guide on what to do. Best bet would be either reading your router manual, or searching for a guide in the net.

Ralston18

Titan
@Errend

Make and model modem?

Make and model router?

Or if combined - make and model modem/router?

Are they provided by your ISP or do you own the devices?

Also - on the laptop. Double check that only one network adapter (either wired or wireless as preferred) is enabled.

Not both wired and wireless network adapters at the same time and not two network adapters of any sort at the same time.

Errend

Prominent
Apr 3, 2021
Thanks for the responses everyone. Initial problem is fixed at this point and I'm either being paranoid or it's something I'll have to look out for and educate myself on. Appreciate your time and help.