[SOLVED] Sudden problems with my Wi-Fi/service on all devices.

UnoDosTrace

Honorable
Mar 23, 2014
About three weeks ago I started to run across slower download/upload speeds and ping issues. My service provider is cox and I rent a gateway from them. When I speed test on wifi on all devices I get 70-100mbps download and close to 20mbps upload and 9-15 ping which is all pretty solid on the 5g wireless.

Yet when I do any gaming, streaming, or downloading, I have ping in the 80’s with spikes up to the 150s and 200s. Plus my download speed bottles down to about 10-15mbps. I’ve tried hardwiring my pc with the same results on the ping issue but with more stable download speeds.

I had a tech come out and he didn’t say much; just that the box was missing a filter and wasn’t properly grounded. He said he put in a support ticket for the regional guy to look because he was getting some high ping and interference from outside to begin with.

Will investing in a better gateway than the rental one help with any of my problems? Should I bite the bullet and just get a modem and router separate? Any ideas or help would be appreciated!

Solution
A modem and router is best in general but since you already had it looked at see what they do and if it ends up fixing it. If it's an issue with the wiring you would have spent money on hardware you don't need.

I have found most of those gateway devices are pretty bad. I have a newer one from Verizon and it has been very unstable, I loose internet connection several times a day using it. Even when using a second router for the network connection the gateway seems to drop my network connections. I'd say it is several times worse with Verizon FIOS for reliability than I had when I was using Charter/Spectrum cable modem. I lost connection maybe once a week if that, vs once a day.

Wait till they do their fix and if that does not help...
A modem and router is best in general but since you already had it looked at see what they do and if it ends up fixing it. If it's an issue with the wiring you would have spent money on hardware you don't need.

I have found most of those gateway devices are pretty bad. I have a newer one from Verizon and it has been very unstable, I loose internet connection several times a day using it. Even when using a second router for the network connection the gateway seems to drop my network connections. I'd say it is several times worse with Verizon FIOS for reliability than I had when I was using Charter/Spectrum cable modem. I lost connection maybe once a week if that, vs once a day.

Wait till they do their fix and if that does not help ask them what modem they recommend using.

Solution

UnoDosTrace

Honorable
Mar 23, 2014

Wait till they do their fix and if that does not help ask them what modem they recommend using.

thanks for the reply! I’m going to sit on it for another couple of days and If I don’t see any marked improvement, I’m just going to go get a router and modem from the store and return the rented gateway.