My specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3800x
GPU: EVGA 2080 Super
RAM: DDR4 16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengence
OS SSD: Kingston V300 120GB
SSD: OCZ TRION 500GB
Motherboard: ASUS X570 TUF Gaming Plus
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G+ 750 Gold

I have had this setup for nearly 2 months now and have had no issues until recently. Any game I play now has random microstutters. I have switched games to the OS SSD and the stutters continues. I have updated drivers to the GPU, Chipset, BIOS, with no change. Memtest shows no issues. CPU Temps at load less than 50, GPU never over 65. I've reset my routers.

When stuttering, task manager shows slight decrease in CPU performance then flattens again. FPS does the same in every game I play.

I am at a complete loss as to what is causing this.

Solution
Okay, so V-SYNC was off in both game and control panel...I still feel like it's a GPU > monitor sync issue, is your monitor 60hz, or higher?

If you run that GPU flat out on a 60hz monitor, you will probably get some stuttering because the monitors refresh rate just can't keep up with the render rate of the GPU. Could be degrading the monitor, causing issues. Seen it happen. Whats your max FPS when gaming? Anything more than double the refresh rate of your monitor is unnecessary and just causing extra heat and wear.

In that case I would recommend either using something like adaptive V-SYNC to keep your render rate in check with your monitor, capping your FPS, or overclocking your monitor (if you can and are willing to lose some life...

RamboRyza

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
Mate I had the same issue until a few days ago with my GTX 1080.

I found that Nvidia Control Panel (don't know what your equivalent is) was setting my V-SYNC, but so was the games I was playing, and they were interferring.

Maybe try turning off V-SYNC inside your in-game setting (or turn off your GPU Control Panel V-SYNC) so only one 'instance' of V_SYNC is running when you game, if you haven't already.

Really hope this helps, its a real pain.

Cheers bud

Aug 26, 2020
Mate I had the same issue until a few days ago with my GTX 1080.

I found that Nvidia Control Panel (don't know what your equivalent is) was setting my V-SYNC, but so was the games I was playing, and they were interferring.

Maybe try turning off V-SYNC inside your in-game setting (or turn off your GPU Control Panel V-SYNC) so only one 'instance' of V_SYNC is running when you game, if you haven't already.

Really hope this helps, its a real pain.

Cheers bud
Thanks for the suggestion. I will give this a try. I always turn off V-Sync in game so maybe the control panel does have it on. Will update after work. Thanks again.

RamboRyza

Prominent
Aug 26, 2020
Okay, so V-SYNC was off in both game and control panel...I still feel like it's a GPU > monitor sync issue, is your monitor 60hz, or higher?

If you run that GPU flat out on a 60hz monitor, you will probably get some stuttering because the monitors refresh rate just can't keep up with the render rate of the GPU. Could be degrading the monitor, causing issues. Seen it happen. Whats your max FPS when gaming? Anything more than double the refresh rate of your monitor is unnecessary and just causing extra heat and wear.

In that case I would recommend either using something like adaptive V-SYNC to keep your render rate in check with your monitor, capping your FPS, or overclocking your monitor (if you can and are willing to lose some life off of it).

Looking at specs can't see any potential bottleneck so shouldnt be that, but you could monitor CPU and GPU usage at those monents and see if either is causing a bottleneck. But unlikely.

Let me know bud, this is a common issue so would like to know how you get on with it.

Cheers

Solution