Question sudden restarts and 2 kinds of BSOD, man i have it all

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

yamkzs

Prominent
Oct 17, 2018
its been like this for a while now, mainly i'd get a BSOD "machine check exception" and when its not that its "IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL" and other than that there would be sudden restarts out of no where with no error message once o' ever.
usually it would happen while browsing with chrome though i guess its because thats mainly what i would do on my pc. it happened only once so far while playing a game the error was the "machine check exception" if i recall.
would love to get some help to narrow it down and solve this problem since its been hunting me for months.
my pc is self built specs as folllows,

intel i5 9600k
Nvidia RTX 2080
650W PSU
Kingston SSD Sata.

yamkzs

Prominent
Oct 17, 2018
I will get a USB flash drive tomorrow and will share the results. If i remember correctly i have run a memtest a while back with this current RAM stick and it turned out error-less but will double check it nonetheless to rule out.

By saying event logs, you mean the logs that the event viewer generates? if so, how can i relay them to you effectively? is there a file i can send or just a screen shot of the system errors?

By saying event logs, you mean the logs that the event viewer generates? if so, how can i relay them to you effectively? is there a file i can send or just a screen shot of the system errors?
Correctly speaking, any program (including Windows) installed creates events and the event viewer is a program that allows you to look into those events (it doesn't generate them).

The tool I asked you to run earlier in post #24 collects the events, by uploading the zip this tool creates you provided the logs you can access in the event viewer. The events it collects are 'Application' and 'System' events, which are under 'Windows Logs'.

Reactions: PC Tailor

yamkzs

Prominent
Oct 17, 2018
I feel as if the BSODs and restart are occurring more frequently than before, not a day passes without a restart or a BSOD, just today i had 1 with each error correspondingly and a restart.
what do you guys suggest thus far? should i send any specific part to get checked for faulty?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I feel as if the BSODs and restart are occurring more frequently than before, not a day passes without a restart or a BSOD, just today i had 1 with each error correspondingly and a restart.
what do you guys suggest thus far? should i send any specific part to get checked for faulty?

Have you done this
The tool I asked you to run earlier in post #24 collects the events, by uploading the zip this tool creates you provided the logs you can access in the event viewer. The events it collects are 'Application' and 'System' events, which are under 'Windows Logs'.

as Axe is likely the best person to figure out what you need to do :)

yamkzs

Prominent
Oct 17, 2018
Have you done this

as Axe is likely the best person to figure out what you need to do :)

i had in a previous post, thought i could get something done while waiting for his response. @axe0axe0 , just in case it might had been missed.
Zip from the tool, just an update had another BSOD "machine check exception" let me know if the dump could provide any further details, ill upload it. still did not get the chance to update the BIOS.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did you have heaps of graphics problems in March? 20th looked like a fun day. the Graphics card engine was crashing all day.

Anyway, slightly more recently.

MSINFO - Why does microsoft sort Windows Error Reporting in date order by day, not month. Who thinks that makes any sense?

I will see if I can sort it another way.

Sorry for the delay in response.

Unfortunately, due to the lack of dump file generation, it is difficult to determine what to do next. All things considered, my guess is the motherboard is causing issues.

Could you verify that the settings are configured for a kernel memory dump please, in the past just a verification has led to dumps miraculously being created 9 out of 10 times. Don't know if it still happens, but no harm in trying. :)
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5560-configure-windows-10-create-minidump-bsod.html#Part1

yamkzs

Prominent
Oct 17, 2018
Sorry for the delay in response.

Unfortunately, due to the lack of dump file generation, it is difficult to determine what to do next. All things considered, my guess is the motherboard is causing issues.

Could you verify that the settings are configured for a kernel memory dump please, in the past just a verification has led to dumps miraculously being created 9 out of 10 times. Don't know if it still happens, but no harm in trying. :)
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5560-configure-windows-10-create-minidump-bsod.html#Part1
it will take a few more days until i can update the BSOD and dump status.
an issue that i’ve had before has come back, the pc turns on but no display. it got fixed last time when i bought a new motherboard, though what are the chances this one got fried so fast? i have it for a year and a half approximately.

yamkzs

Prominent
Oct 17, 2018
What power supply do you have?

Motherboards don't fry themselves after all (normally anyway)

you might want to check it out
the paper clip method - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/what-is-the-paperclip-method-of-testing-a-psu.1336402/

or multimeter,

or in the BIOS to check the +3.3V, +5V, and +12V. - https://www.lifewire.com/power-supply-voltage-tolerances-2624583
As i’ve mentioned before it’s a 650w PSU by cooler master the bronze version if its of any relevancy.