Sudden screen loss (turns either pink, striped blue/gray, and striped black/gray)

CSalTre

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K
GPU: MSI Radeon R9 270X (2 GB)

I've made a previous post on this problem, just that there wasn't any solution. The problem consists of suddenly turning the monitor screen to either pink, striped blue/gray, and striped black/gray; if in a YouTube video, audio sometimes continues, and sometimes it continues but deteriorated (while the weird screen color(s) appear). This problem persists and don't know how to solve it.

Thank you.

CSalTre

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015

My monitor is about 5 years old and has only VGA. The GPU came with an adapter so I'm using VGA to connect GPU and monitor. Is that a potential cause for the screen behavior?

Thanks.

azca

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
yes it could be your monitor going out or bad cable (replace with new cable), bad adapter (replace the adapter) or bad gpu.

Start with the simplest 1) cable 2) adapter 3) screen 4) gpu

easiest way to test gpu is to try using a different screen.

CSalTre

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015

No I haven't. I will be looking forward. However, this screen loss doesn't occur everyday I use my PC; 1 month the PC is with no problems, but the next month, every week I have the screen loss at least once. It's unpredictable.

peter0188

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
My monitor sometimes went pink with pink lines across the screen & would flicker every now & then. I traced it to an over-tight cable connection at the kvm box. I just loosened the screws a tiny bit.
Now, i dont know if the problem was the tight connection or if the kvm box is flaky but i aint investigating any further whilst the going is good.