Question Sudden shutdown on a new build!?

Jan 25, 2019
Greetings to all! I just made a new pc build for my friend:
Cpu: Ryzen 5 2600
Gpu: Asrock Radeon Rx 580 Phantom Gaming X OC 8GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 16 GB 3000 MHz
And and old PSU: Switching power supply SL 550W. I checked about the voltage limit and this psu is ok to power up this system. After 2 hours of play suddenly the pc made a shut down and from then it cannot power up again. The case is also new so it is not from the power switch. I tried to manually power up the psu after I unplugged everything, by making a bridge between the green and a black wire on the 24 pin cable but it didn’t power up. Is it that the psu finally gave up?? If that is the case, is there any chance that it damaged any other parts?? I told my friend that it was best to buy a new one but he couldn’t afford it by the time. Plz help me! Thanks in advance!

Yea I would believe it would be the PSU as well. No-Name power supplies, especially old ones, should not be used with a power hungry card like the RX580.

If you were playing games on it they system would be drawing a lot of power, something that power supply couldn't cope with apparently. There is a possibility the psu failed and killed other components in the system. Usually, the first things to go are the motherboard and GPU, but more damage is possible.
NEVER, EVER, use a cheap psu!

You can take the PSU out of the case and bridge the green and black wires and see if the fan turns on. Either way no guarentee it is good.

I would try to replace this unit with something of quality. At minimum a Corsair CX450 bronze.

Reactions: computerjoe314
Jan 25, 2019
Yea I would believe it would be the PSU as well. No-Name power supplies, especially old ones, should not be used with a power hungry card like the RX580.

If you were playing games on it they system would be drawing a lot of power, something that power supply couldn't cope with apparently. There is a possibility the psu failed and killed other components in the system. Usually, the first things to go are the motherboard and GPU, but more damage is possible.
NEVER, EVER, use a cheap psu!

You can take the PSU out of the case and bridge the green and black wires and see if the fan turns on. Either way no guarentee it is good.

I would try to replace this unit with something of quality. At minimum a Corsair CX450 bronze.

I have already said that I told him about the psu and he couldn’t afford it. I already tried the bridge but the psu is not responding. I hope that nothing was damaged except the psu